Jerkbait rod recommendation

leechunbao

Hi, fishing Pros here, I am new for jerkbait fishing and need some suggestions about jerkbait rod selection. :thumbsup_anim:

For the jerkbait rod I would like to use Rapala X-Rap lures or O.S.P so the lure weight should be 3/8~3/4Oz. Therefore basically I will look for a 6'3~6'6 MH rod. Any recommendation about the rod? Brand? Action as Fast or EX-Fast?

And the biggest problem is about the reel. Should I use spinning reel? or baitcasting reel? I was told that by using spinning reel it will be easier for handling but using baitcast reel looks more profissional at Youtube...:dunno:

Would like to have any sugegstion from your pro guys. Thanks a lot! :clapping:

untitled.JPG

i use a 6'6 medium/fast action quantum, and an older daiawa apollo that never fails me. both on spinning reels. i have used bait casters and it looks good, you also get more control of the lure but in my opinion its not enough to switch from the comfort of a good spinning reel. again my opinion i know there are people out there that are godly with bait casters.

i use a 6'3" medium power, xtra fast action rod. i use a baitcasting rod, only because i prefer a casting rod. dont worry about looking "professional" out there. i know some great anglers who only use spinning rods. go with what is most comfortable to u. some guys have trouble with a casting reel. if ur confident in using one, then do it, if not, go with a spinning rod and reel.

G Loomis JBR753C 6'3". There are four models designed for Jerkbaits. This one is the shorter version of the Med/Hvy they have another 6'9" Model in the Med Hvy. I use the OSP Rudra's and the Asuras with this rod as well as Nories Jerkbaits. Specifically Designed for Jerkbaits. If you dont like the price of this one. There is a GL-2 version like it. Almost exact the same just heavier but not by much. CR723 (GL2) 6'. If you dont ike casting then go with a spinning version of the GL-2 or go to the Bronzeback series and they will have a Jerkbait spinning version there as well.

AS for the reels. I like to use a slower reel such as the Daiwa outta luck baitcaster or a 6 sped Zillion. I generally use the 5 speed outta luck. Usually a best suited reel for all use would be a 6 speed reel. I have 4 of these setups with half with Braid for rippin and the other half with Floro. I usually go mid way between the rod rating for line . The same goes for the lure weight. I find I get the best performance with going half way.

Either length is fine, but you don't want to be hitting the tip on the water with every jerk. Shorter rods are better for shorter guys and vice-versa.

I prefer a casting rod...I feel that baits of 1/4 ounce or less generally cast best on spinning tackle and baits above that weight belong on a casting rod.

Medium or Med.Heavy are both excellent choices and will double as Spinnerbait or Swimbait rods etc.

For small Jerkbaits like most of the X-Rap series, I often use a 6'6" Crankbait rod, which is quite soft compared to those other two rods. I like the progressive action that the softer rod imparts, but in truth, I doubt that most fish care about this subtlety...grin.

I own all of the variations mentioned, so if you want to "try before you buy" PM me

Garry2R's

I use a casting medium heavy fast action 6'6 Vrod for most of my jerks and I usually throw baits 4" or bigger. I have a medium action rod that I dont like because it's too light. As for line, I used to use mono before I switched my reels over to braid a few years ago and now I wish I had one rod with mono specifically for jerkbaits... I find I get a nice bounce on the twitch with mono because of the stretch.

I use a 6'3 stcroix Avid spinning rod. medium power with an extra fast tip. I have it paired up with a Daiwa Excelor 1500 spinning reel. I used to use a bait cating set-up...and I'll tell you that my arm would always hurt when using the bait casting set-up...now that I have switched no problems!

I love throwing rapala X-raps (the 1/4 oz size) and the X-rap Shad's (5/16th size) with a 6'6" fast action medium power spinning rod, with 8 pound test monofilament.

I really like the G. Loomis SJR782 in GL3 or the St. Croix Avid 66MF rod. both are awesome for jerkbaits and rapalas. The St. Croix is a bit beefier than the Loomis between these two rods. I use a 2500 size spinning reel.

if you move up to heavier baits, you want heavier line, personally if I am going over 8 pound mono, I use a baitcaster.

spinning just doesn't handle the heavier monofilament lines as well once you get up to 10 and 12 IMO.. although if you use braid you might be fine. I am still stuck in the stoneage and use plain ol' Berkely Trilene XL haha

Edited by 12 Volt Man

i use a 6'3" medium power, xtra fast action rod. i use a baitcasting rod, only because i prefer a casting rod. dont worry about looking "professional" out there. i know some great anglers who only use spinning rods. go with what is most comfortable to u. some guys have trouble with a casting reel. if ur confident in using one, then do it, if not, go with a spinning rod and reel.

That's what I am thinking...I might go baitcast as well...

G Loomis JBR753C 6'3". There are four models designed for Jerkbaits. This one is the shorter version of the Med/Hvy they have another 6'9" Model in the Med Hvy. I use the OSP Rudra's and the Asuras with this rod as well as Nories Jerkbaits. Specifically Designed for Jerkbaits. If you dont like the price of this one. There is a GL-2 version like it. Almost exact the same just heavier but not by much. CR723 (GL2) 6'. If you dont ike casting then go with a spinning version of the GL-2 or go to the Bronzeback series and they will have a Jerkbait spinning version there as well.

AS for the reels. I like to use a slower reel such as the Daiwa outta luck baitcaster or a 6 sped Zillion. I generally use the 5 speed outta luck. Usually a best suited reel for all use would be a 6 speed reel. I have 4 of these setups with half with Braid for rippin and the other half with Floro. I usually go mid way between the rod rating for line . The same goes for the lure weight. I find I get the best performance with going half way.

Your setup are too gorgeous for me but I love them sooooooo much:thumbsup_anim: . For the O.S.P it is about 25 bucks and as i know this japanese jerkbaits are only available at PRO J. A good news is, recently I know they have a new kind of "lurefans" jerkbait named CD95 (or R65?) and the shop owner said this jerkbaits are even better than OSP.. You might have some interesting to see it... :clapping:

even if you have never cast a baitcasting reel, don't worry.

its easy with a bit of practice. before you know it you will be casting better than Roland Martin..

Thanks buddy. Actually I use baitcast reels setup for Jig and worm fishing. It looks like I will go for baitcast reel.. :thumbsup_anim:

I love throwing rapala X-raps (the 1/4 oz size) and the X-rap Shad's (5/16th size) with a 6'6" fast action medium power spinning rod, with 8 pound test monofilament.

I really like the G. Loomis SJR782 in GL3 or the St. Croix Avid 66MF rod. both are awesome for jerkbaits and rapalas. The St. Croix is a bit beefier than the Loomis between these two rods. I use a 2500 size spinning reel.

if you move up to heavier baits, you want heavier line, personally if I am going over 8 pound mono, I use a baitcaster.

spinning just doesn't handle the heavier monofilament lines as well once you get up to 10 and 12 IMO.. although if you use braid you might be fine. I am still stuck in the stoneage and use plain ol' Berkely Trilene XL haha

I think I will use X-RAP X10 or X12. 1/2oz to 3/4oz. haha. Thanks!

6'6'' med heavy would do fine! It all depends on your price range and lures you'll be throwing. The weight lures listed will be fine for a spinning rod but if you're going for anything bigger a baitcaster would really be ideal.

The baitcaster is more expensive than the spinning rods but its a must if you're going for big pike and muskie.

Rapala's magnum series has decent med. heavy spinning rods and they're quite cheap.

Abu Garcia also makes a series, i beleve called avenger... something along that line. They are in the 35-45 dollar price range. Shimano has a few as well but I find the action is a bit too fast in my opinion.

Goodluck!