low profile vs round baitcaster

Pangle

Is there any huge disadvantage using a low profile baitcaster such as a curado or revo versus a calcutta when fishing for muskies other than line capacity? Also, will a large muskie peel off more than a 100yrds of line?

I am thinking of using my curado (50lb braid), a 7'-6" flipping stick and tossing in line spinners and large minnow baits.

Your thoughts

Thanks

I have a Curado 300 and a Calcutta TE.

The curado 300 will stand up to a muskie very well. It is a saltwater reel and I would argue that there are many smaller saltwater fish that fight much harder than muskie.

The one issue is that the curado may not stand up to a lot of long days of casting and retrieving the big hard "pulling" muskie baits. If you are using it on a flipin' stick and using smaller baits than it is more than adequate.

Curado is great for the smaller baits but once you get into the big Cowgirls and the like, you need something with a low stump pulling gear ratio to bring them in. I have a big Abu 7000i for that purpose and for trolling. My go to is my Abu Record 60, it is a good compromise and I haven't had any problems with it.

The 60 Series Revo's have low gears, a low profile and a larger line capacity, for trolling etc. In my experience musky prefer to stand and fight where they are, so unlike a salmon reel, a huge line capability isn't an issue.

thx for the responses.

i have my eye on a calcutta in the future.....hmm....i just got my hst check.

Your making a good choice....think 4000 series TE and you'll be a very happy man !!

i throw double 13's with my curado 300 and dont have any problems. sure the short handels dont make for easy burning but it will do the trick if you can handle it. Cant go wrong with a Calcutta either way. and if not get an Abu, throw a power handle and off you go. Abu's and calcutta's are very easy to clean, take apart and see whats wrong too.