My Simcoe Tourney Report

Rizzo

So I did manage to cart myself onto Kempenfelt bay Saturday afternoon to participate in the charity tournament. Cost was $80.00 per hole with proceeds benefitting local charities (RVH Cancer Centre last year, Gilda's Club this year). Didn't seem that cold at home, but man was I happy to have the survival suit on! Now I understand why "Tarpus Maximus" has some problems on the ice...it gets mighty windy on Simcoe. Even though I live 5 minutes away, I've never actually ice fished Kempenfelt bay before. To make things worse, I've never fished for whitefish or trout before either! Stopped in at Simcoe Bait and Tackle to talk a little "shop" with the local experts. Ended up meeting the guy who finished second in last years tourney and got a few tips... pretty sure everyone lied to me :whistling::whistling:

I ended up with zero trout and precisely zero whitefish. Fortunately, I did land a couple of perch (out of 50 feet of water) and one was big enough to get me in the prizes. I finished 48th out of approx. 500 people, winning $150.00 in ice fishing gear from Bass Pro. Top 50 people got prizes. Funny thing is, the guy in 50th place won an aluminum boat, guess I should have done a little worse! Either way, a fun day and supporting great local charities. I'll definitely be back.

$150 for 48th and a boat for 50th

ya, kind of funny how they did that. Top 5 prizes were great, and then every once in a while there would be a great prize thrown in at a weird spot. Made it kind of interesting actually, sometimes had you hoping they wouldn't call your name until you got to that better prize!

That's good nice 1, I like those tourneys I placed top 50 in the three I have went too and the same thing happened with the last finishing spot getting a very nice prize. Last one in Sudbury finished 44th with a 5" perch at the buzzer. :lol:

Good work there Rizzo, I am hoping to go in that next year, too bad they don't set it up out a bit further up the bay. I think they would catch more fish up that way

I think you're right. Out from Minet's Point there are lots of huts, so I assume at least decent fishing. I guess they do it at this location not for the fishing, but because of the southshore centre (parking, breakfast, lunch etc). The rest of the ice season I never see anyone fish in this area so I'm pretty sure its not exactly a hotspot :D .