Proper crimping?

chong

I want to start making leaders for muskies,I have dbl barrel sleeves but not sure what is the proper way to crimp them.

I went to 2 different tackle stores and i get 2 different versions.

One told me to crimp in the center with the sleeve like this 00 and the other told me to crimp the round part of the sleeve like this 8,what is the proper way??

Will these pliers be ok for crimping??carbide_pro_pliers.png

About half way through this video he builds a leader:

http://www.leadertec...techniques.html <--I've seen crimping both ways but #5 "correct way" usually is the safest bet imo. I like doing it that way.

I crimp hard enough to securely hold the flouro without too much squeeze to cause the flouro to deform badly, you're just making the flouro weak then. Also I bulb the end and don't crimp right to the ends of the sleeve or else the crimpd sleeve end will cut into the flouro which is really bad.

I think the key to it is picking a dbl barrel that is is just right for the fluro size, definitely don't want a huge hole barrel and 50 lb line or vice versa small hole barrel and 150lb line. There has to be some gap but not too loose. Hard to explain on the internet. I have those pliers but never used them for crimping. I love to use my electrical wire/crimping pliers.

Edited by Syn

I don't crimp at all anymore. I got more faith in the Perfection Loop now. For the past 3 yrs I have been doing the Perfection Loop in everything from 60lb floro to 150lb floro and 150 mono. Haven't had one let me down yet.

I don't crimp at all anymore. I got more faith in the Perfection Loop now. For the past 3 yrs I have been doing the Perfection Loop in everything from 60lb floro to 150lb floro and 150 mono. Haven't had one let me down yet.

I just tried that knot on my 80lb floro and not only does it work great it's probably the fastest knot out there you can use. Thanks a lot for the tip, you just made my life a little easier :thumbsup_anim:

I get all my musky leaders from charlier2753 on ebay. he does something a bit different. he uses two different clasps first of all. and then he throws a not around the clasp and ball bearing and then crimps. He's a great guy to deal w/ from Wisconsin and I have his leaders on all my rods.

here's what he says on his leader listing....

"These leaders are made by me. I use 100% fluorocarbon line in 130lb. test. The ball bearing swivel is 143lb. test. The snap is a size 5-300lb. test stringease stay loc. Many fishermen are wanting a little more than a 12in. leader. Therefore, I am offering 14 inches and longer. The ball bearing swivel and snap are tied with a big game cable knot. This knot retains 100% of the pound test of the line. This is important because many knots offer only 60-80% pound test of the line. Crimps instead of knots are unreliable. The crimps you see on my leaders are to take up loose ends to give the leader an improved appearance and add more security. If you question anything about my leaders, just check my feedback. It speaks for itself. Thanks, Charlie."

I get all my musky leaders from charlier2753 on ebay. he does something a bit different. he uses two different clasps first of all. and then he throws a not around the clasp and ball bearing and then crimps. He's a great guy to deal w/ from Wisconsin and I have his leaders on all my rods.

here's what he says on his leader listing....

"These leaders are made by me. I use 100% fluorocarbon line in 130lb. test. The ball bearing swivel is 143lb. test. The snap is a size 5-300lb. test stringease stay loc. Many fishermen are wanting a little more than a 12in. leader. Therefore, I am offering 14 inches and longer. The ball bearing swivel and snap are tied with a big game cable knot. This knot retains 100% of the pound test of the line. This is important because many knots offer only 60-80% pound test of the line. Crimps instead of knots are unreliable. The crimps you see on my leaders are to take up loose ends to give the leader an improved appearance and add more security. If you question anything about my leaders, just check my feedback. It speaks for itself. Thanks, Charlie."

lol I got a few from charlier2753 too. Good guy :clapping:. He even asked me if I wanted to try a leader with the glow beads for night muskie. Good idea!

Edited by Syn