Musky Opener - update week 2

cowanjo

Gidday All, been a while since I posted but hopefully all will enjoy.

Musky log

Date June 5th 2010

Conditions Water temp 74.8 - overcast Windy from the south

Plan to get out for the MR at 1:48 am just after the openers - crew were to be Lee and Mark. in the end did not happen as both partners and myself very fragile by the time we would have had to depart. Thanks guys memorable night - too many beers and talk about the season ahead. all of us indicated felt like christmas.

Musky log

Date June 5th 2010

Time : 1:30 aim for MS at 2:45 fished to 4:10pm

Conditions Water temp 74.8 - overcast Windy from the south

Crew Luke (Son 8 years old) grandad (Many years older than Luke)

Plan : start with topwater due to chop try others dependant on activity. Fish area of production from June 2009 log.

Luke was casting jig heads and anything else he could find to make me tie on or grandad. Many casts slow retrieve, fast retrieve mising it up to find any pattern. Fishing inside out in area which is 9 feet falling to 22 feet. Luke gets pay dirt in twenty five secconds opens up with slot size walleye - making his dad look like a novice.

2010_02210132-1.jpg

I change lures booty tail - finally a follow at 2:15 - really lethargic, try to figure eight multiple times - no take. grab two other rods prepared - cowgirl and bulldawg for zero. Little frustrated. Keep fishing finally right at 2:50 (Just after MS) finally catch a little guy approx 33 inches on the measure. Note to self, OFC fishing contest is not simple to get logo in frame, cost me teeth marks in thumb! have to get hat made with logo. Anyway have photo will be sent to sinker

2010_06050050-1.jpg

Happy - no skunk for 2010 and believe all my hard thinking has paid off, keep fishing for no more Luke gets a couple of OOS Bass - returned. fish until 4:00Pm and back home for dinner - thanks Luke!

Musky log

Date June 5th 2010

Time : 6:30 fished to 11:00pm

Conditions Water temp 74.8 - overcast Windy from the south - ss 8:41

Crew Lee next door neighbour with reputation of skunking boat

Plan : start with topwater due to chop try others dependant on activity. Fish area of production from June 2009 log.

Lee casting cowgirl, John casting bulldawg (and many others trying to work out pattern) fish hard, many different retrieve styles. changed lures multiple times. No follows - not even a sign. Decide at 7:45 to head towards productive area not to far from a marina (Yes we wanted a beer!) which held fish in June 2009. Arrive cast number two catch the following - really nice healthy fish 41 inches on length. first attempt at using cradle ever, seems to work well. Hooks out quickly - get ready to take photo with tape on side of boat and OFC logo - well not to be - slipped straight back in as put her down, one kick of tail gone. Sad to not have photo happy she was so health .... big gut and incredible healthy.

2010_06050057-1.jpg

Fish until 9:15 nothing more....decide we have had some luck so decide to grab a beer. We have one beer and strategise for return back to our end of lake. We think troll - back on water by 9:45 - following contours at 16 foot mark (Exactly depth fish caught above) - Lee gets a hit very very dark - fish on, alas fish lost ... disappointed we troll some more. Lee wearing black and white pullover looks alot like a skunk. We continue to troll for no more hits. Decide to hit the "honey hole" - those who read my post before may remember a prolific area in Late September.

Back to casting - very dark, wind has died somewhat - great to be alive and fishing again. Fishing topwater gurgle gurgle.....splash. fish on. time 10:53 - big run down into the weeds keep pressure on get her to the boat. cradle in water fish in ...big fish cradle tells me greater than 45 inches ... hard to tell need photo for OFC comp of this one ... try to put her on side of boat with logo not eay - didnt start her at begining of tape big bow and still longer than measure. Anyway dont care estactic, huge musky on opening day was she greater than 45 - Lee thinks so but cant really tell as have to get her back into the water.

Notes to self. A) rechargeable torches suck, thankfully two torches in boat. B) Cradle is much harder to use after dark.

Anyway heres the picture for sinker, may be the last one if the effort doesnt get easier. Nice health musky and I will get bigger, so lets call it more than 40

2010_06050062-1.jpg

Fish a little more for no more action ... Day one of musky season for three fish. Was going to fish today but drove back to Toronto ... looking at the day now should have stayed at cottage.

Anyway hope everyone enjoys and had as much luck as I did!

John

Edited by cowanjo

Nice work john!!

A healthy release is much more important than a pic with the logo. If you look at any fish I've entered, they've all been dead. There is a reason. I'd rather lose the tourny, but have healthy releases. Its just bragging rights, remember!! Next time, put the logo in your mouth, and get a quick picture holding the fish. NO MEASUREMENT is required in the picture.

Again, congrats on the first slime of the season!!

S.

Great report!

As Sinker mentioned, you don't have to have the measurement in the photo. As for the sign, try what I keep forgetting to do. Have the sign laminated at Staples for $1.xx and use a couple snap swivels and a length of line to wear it around your neck.

• 2 weeks later...

Update Week 2 sorry for the delay - pretty sad no fishing this weekend 50th anniversary of inlaws!

Musky log

Date June 12th 2010

Time : 7:25Pm finish 1.25AM

Conditions Water temp 70.6 - overcast Windy from the south East

Crew kevin (Newbie to muskie fishing)Lee

Plan : put in place with the guys who didnt make it last week - start dogs in deepwater and some swimbaits in shallow casting - then troll later. Follow last weeks trail just slightly shallower 14-18 feet

Again fished hard - sunset saw some follows. again same area which we could not get a strike last week. We have named the musky "Nemisis" and will show you pictures when we finally work out what it will eat. Looks like a very healthy musky. It is the first one I have ever seen to follow the figure 8 on three spins, then an "o" then lost interest when I went into a W pattern.

12:05AM Newbie (Kevin) never fished musky before, we hit weed while trolling - slow boat due to two off us in dark with bowed line no fish. He starts casting - happy days we are in - here is his first muskie very health 43 inch fish. Measuresd and photo this time

2010_06130006.jpg

So we think we have found the pattern weed line - casting - we do this for another hour for zero - frustrating night. We keep going

1:21Am Troll less then 1 minute Lee catches his first musky - these guys have all the luck. Honestly when I hand him the fish he is scared, never held one before and it shows. Sorry lee I have to share Photo. Happy to say we also have this one swimming away! Everyone states had enough lets go have a beer - I think they are just starting - overruled!

2010_06050060.jpg

I hope you enjoy the Photos. Saturday watched the Aussies in world cup soccer. Fished afterwards - like soceroos came up empty.

Anyway this weekend can not fish - hope everyone else is safe and has some luck. i look forward to a week off and catching up with sinker. We will slay them!

John C