Nipissing in June walleye report

kickingfrog

Glad to see you caught some fish KF. :thumbsup_anim:

A friend stopped by today and reported catching a lot of pickerel in the Callander Bay area. He was pretty excited about it.

Still pretty quiet catching at the South Bay area.

Thanks for the feedback, Rob. I have a few similar looking lures in my box, and almost put one on in desperation to drag around for awhile when nothing was hitting our spinner / worm combo. Wish I had at least tried it. I will for sure next year.

Does anyone use those Red and White June Bugs (by Lucky Strike, I think) any more? When I was a kid in North Bay, my Dad and Uncles fished the Goose Islands, and limited each time out. That's all they used, tipped with a shiner or sometimes a fat dew worm. Of course, there were way more pickerel back then (45-50 years ago) than there are now, so probably most anything would get clobbered? just curious.

My uncle will still use one sometimes, 30 plus years ago it was all we used. Shiners early in the year and worms in mid june. That was the extent of our repertoire and if we didn't catch fish it was someone else's fault. Now a crawler harness is the go-to option if I'm searching for fish on flats.

Great report KF...Must be totally awesome to get to fish with your brother. Do you fish together often?

Love the markings on that pike. Thanks for sharing

Trout "opener" and this trip in early June is about the extent of regular trips right now. We try to do some fall steelhead and maybe trip or two on the ice.

Nice catch, have you ever thought about guiding. You would make millions i'm sure!! Not too many people can show off a catch like that on nipissing.

Ha, Ha. Guiding is hard work, and I love fishing for myself too much to try to make a living at it.

Edited by kickingfrog

Guest Johnny Bass

My friend was watching the weather network and they were talking about how the water levels were low and the fishermen were complaining about the lack of fish in Nipissing this year. :dunno: