thinking of re-bunking the trailer

workwear

goin out to quebec for a few days next week to do some pickeye fishing.Anyways i was thinking of re-bunking the trailer,its an '03 and i wanna take advantage of having a few days to play with it.

Was wondering if plain pressure treated is ok,or should i get some cedar.Will be treating it with spar marine grade varnish then wrapping some new carpet

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

cheers pete

goin out to quebec for a few days next week to do some pickeye fishing.Anyways i was thinking of re-bunking the trailer,its an '03 and i wanna take advantage of having a few days to play with it.

Was wondering if plain pressure treated is ok,or should i get some cedar.Will be treating it with spar marine grade varnish then wrapping some new carpet

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

cheers pete

Use clear cedar, no knots and no need to treating it with varnish, that keeps moisture in as much as out. Cedar has its own natural preservative. Carpet if you wish, I used the UHNW Glyde Stiks to make the boat slide on and off easier.

Use clear cedar, no knots and no need to treating it with varnish, that keeps moisture in as much as out. Cedar has its own natural preservative. Carpet if you wish, I used the UHNW Glyde Stiks to make the boat slide on and off easier.

thxs for the reply.....but are you saying i dont need carpet??its a 20ft aluminum...weighs a little bit....wouldnt the carpet help it slide on and off better??

thxs for the reply.....but are you saying i dont need carpet??its a 20ft aluminum...weighs a little bit....wouldnt the carpet help it slide on and off better??

Nope, mines a 16' aluminum, carpet provides a fair bit of friction, don't you remember red knees and elbows from boinky boinky in the rec room. One little tap on the brake while backing into the water and the boat slides right off, and a whole lot less cranking effort when retrieving.

I would be reluctant to use pressure treated would for the bunks as it is corrosive to aluminum. You may be okay with carpet between the bunks and your boat; but I wouldn't risk it.

I also went the route of just putting glide slicks on wood bunks with no carpet... then my boat sank :oops:

I am sure that it was purely co-incidental. My boat sank while tied to the dock during a rain storm. Other than the boat sinking, I didn't have any trouble with just glide slicks instead of carpet. I just used contruction grade wood and stained it. I sold the trailer shortly after so I cannot comment on the durabiliy of stained bunks.

we used regularly lumber, 2*6's with land and sea marine carpet on our trailers. staple along the sides and fold the ends like a present. if you dont fold the carpet all the way around the wood you can leave a little slice of wood showing to help the wood drain and dry.

I redid my bunks for my bassboat trailer two yrs ago. I used pressure treated 2x4's marine carpet that was left over from my carpet replacement job. I just took the old carpet off the old bunks and used them as templates for the new ones. Then I re fastened the new carpet on the new 2x4's with stainless steel staples. Don't be cheap with the staples, use lots, every 1/4 inch or so. Also do not use your old lag bolts, buy new ones. It's always good to check your lag bolts at least once or twice a year, you will find that the odd one needs to be tightened. Vibrations from the road bumps can loosen them sometimes.

25 years ago my Tenee Trailer came with bunks made from pine (NOT TREATED) and of course carpeted....5 years later they were rotten so I made new ones using pressure treated 2X4's and carpeted them for my aluminum Grumman.....three years ago I had to replace the carpets but the pressure treated wood is still VERY GOOD after 20 years......

Tip of the day: get yourself a can of silicone spray and soak down the carpet ONCE a year at most....works GREAT.

Bob