Brookies in the rain

fish_finder

I managed to get out on saturday with my brother in law for some brook trout action. With the overcast skies and slight drizzle, we knew we'd be in for some fun! Its nice that this little creek is so close to home, you can sleep in a bit and still get out there with lots of time!

The wee crick!

crick.jpg

kurtcasting.jpg

There were a few different hatches happening. Hendricksons and BWOs were making up the bulk of the bug activity, but there were also some cahills coming off. Early, for the cahils, but they were hatching none the less. And quite a few stoners were out and about as well.

stoner.jpg

And then there were the trout......pardon the number of images, but there were lots of trout to be caught!

brookieinhand.jpg

brookieinhand2.jpg

brookieinhand3.jpg

brookieinhand4.jpg

brookieinhand5.jpg

brookieinhand6.jpg

brookieinhand7.jpg

brookieunderwater1.jpg

brookieunderwater2.jpg

kurtsbigbrookie.jpg

Twas a very fun day to say the least! I have no idea how many fish we got, but there were certainly enough to go around!!

Beautiful! Stunning pics...Really digging the underwater shots :thumbsup_anim:

Just wondering what kind of fly outfit (length? weight?) you're running for those small streams? I'm currently thinking of building myself 2 small stream fly rods just for creeks like that (and bigger) for next spring. Just haven't decided on what I would need. Everything fly fishing I own is geared towards steelhead

Mike

Beautiful! Stunning pics...Really digging the underwater shots :thumbsup_anim:

Just wondering what kind of fly outfit (length? weight?) you're running for those small streams? I'm currently thinking of building myself 2 small stream fly rods just for creeks like that (and bigger) for next spring. Just haven't decided on what I would need. Everything fly fishing I own is geared towards steelhead

Mike

For the little streams like that, I usually go with an 8 foot 4wt. Shorter would be nice as well, but I just don't have anything shorter! If you have spots that you are primarily targeting brookies, and there isn't much chance of any big browns, you could go as low as a 2wt. I wouldnt go above a 5 wt for the small stream action though. Takes too much of the fun out of it!

dave

Nicely done, thanks for sharing. I have to find me a secret crik like that!

We'll go one of these days . . . I've fished it a few times myself with similar results!

Nice report man, always love seeing some local specs! I think I'm going to need a better camera . . .

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Thanks Ya'll!! Its fun stuff for sure, and for those that dont fly fish, it ain't all that hard really. Especially fishing for brookies in small creeks like that. Every cast is invented at each hole as there isn't much room for a back cast. Its more like flicking a worm or tiny streamer into pocket water than anything else. Of course, you get the odd hole where you can actually pull of a decent cast.

I head out on saturday to fish a few of my favourite streams for a week. The green drakes have already started hatching and I can't wait to get up there!

Then its off to the Midwestern Ontario Sportsmans Show. Anyone else going to be up there?