Flipping reel line

PatrickGG

This summer will be my first time using a flipping outfit and need some line info, i equipped my quantum AC501PT with Gorrilla 50 pound test braided line and was just wondering if its good stuff to use for flipping, what do you guys suggest Mono or Braided?

I though musky guys were crazy using 80lbs braid :D but with $100 lures, filling the big reels and sharp teeth it makes sense.

As for the bass guys using 50 lbs and heavier in the slop or flipping, it's funny to me, I would say 30lbs power pro would be my choice and more than enough power and easy to cast etc..imo.

Edited by GbayGiant

I totally agree with what you say but most people i know don't like to use PP for flipping they would rather use a low stretch mono line , 30 power pro is equivalent to a 8 pound test diameter i think it would get a little ugly if a mishap birds nest would happen or you catch a big one in the slop.

I use PP and a flouro leader for everything. :lol: I can see where mono could be good at times but I don't use it anymore, as for the birds-nest I feel ya, but it hasn't been a problem for me with 20lbs braid on my walleye rods when I flip jigs. And your hooks will bend before you break 30lbs PP, but I guess you'll have to see what you like the best.

Edited by GbayGiant

65 lb braid or 25 lb Berkley Big Game. Big fish seem to live in the thickest nastiest junk around. With the proliferation of zebra mussels, I uae the heaviest line that is still manageable. Experimented with 80 lb braid last year, but it was too rope like.

I have broken 30, 40 and 50 lb braid on hook sets. It plays with your confidence then and in a tournament, it's all about confidence.

Charles

I have broken 30, 40 and 50 lb braid on hook sets.

Woohoo, I would like to see that hook set. :o:D I bend the hooks on 0/4 muskie trebles with 60lbs before the line breaks, and walleye jigs with 20lbs, I would think the rod would snap before the 50lb on a bass rod, that's crazy, you must have got some faulty line or bad knots or it sliced on a rock or something.

Edited by GbayGiant

All three of those are possible GBay, it could also be mudfish or toothy critters a snapping turtle, sometimes you just never know. Sometimes the knot slips out too.

Nonetheless, better safe than sorry so I use 65 and pray I'm not setting the hook on a stump cuz that hurts! :)

Charles

I agree with charlesn here. I also flip with 65 braid and I too have broken 30, 40 and 50 on hooksets. When money is on the line why not use the heaviest line that you can get away with? 30, 40 and even 50 pound will even slip through the gap of an eye with ease if you don't keep it lined up.

The only time I like braid is in the deep weed beds in deeper water however. Other than that, I use either 25 lb Fluorocarbon or 30 lb Big Game.

JP

I like using braid for most of my presentations. For flipping its 30lb FINS PRT, plastic frogs over the pads 50lb FINS PRT, and my spinning outfits have 15lb FINS with a Berkley Vanish floro leader in 10lb. I have had good success with these weights and as Charles said alot of confidence in the set ups.

I generally use 65 lb PP. I can't remember breaking off a fish because I failed to retie. I generally retie once per trip with PP.

The one problem I have with PP is that is too supple, so that it wraps around the rod tip on occasion, especially when its wet. Mono doesn't do that, but with mono (say 20 lb trilene XT) it is important to retie more frequently,or you'll bust off fish.

I use 30 lb power pro , the only problem with it is it slips thru the eye once in a while. I found some new hooks this year from Reaction Innovations that have the eye welded closed, therefore eliminating this from happening ,the hooks are made by Gamakatsu for this company.

also with the braid I'd recommend the Palomar knot as I find it is the best for braid.

Edited by mikeh