Head Lake in Kawarthas

ehg

Have fished most of the lakes in Kawarthas but not this one. I am aware of the abundance of rock obstacles so keeping a watch on this seems paramount there. It seems with all this structure that perhaps it would be decent for the bass and musky. Really would like to try this lake this summer, any one have any experience there to share?

Thanks in advance :Gonefishing:

It used to be an awesome lake for largemouth but over the last 10 years since the stocking of walleye it seems that the smallmouths are out competing the largemouth.

Smallies are everywhere on rock, you really cant go wrong. Go even shallower then you would normally as they get right into the skinny water.

Walleyes are on the deep edges of weed in that lake usually from 8-12 feet.

Muskies can be anywhere , they are the typical Haliburton Highland musky,, long and lean but fun!!!

It seems to be a very hit and miss lake. Some days are awesome, some are brutal. Shallow water fish are very affected by fronts and what not.

Worth a trip, but be extremely careful for stumps and rocks. I didnt even start my outboard the first 3 times there.

+1

ive had some good days and some terrible ones... Drive slow and safe, not a place you go rip around on, unless you wanna go buy a new lower unit

Guest Johnny Bass

Pretty good fishing for Smallies. Largies, pickerel and Musky are hit and miss. Musky fishing pics up in the fall but last time I was there the musky fishing was slow. Talked to a few locals and apparently they were killing the musky in favor of the pickerel.

Destroyed at least 2 props. Drive very slow.

Thanks for replies!

Seems like the rocks might be even worse than i imagined. Was curious about the musky bite up there, sounds a little tough. Read a report, many years ago, where Dr.Crossman said the largest Kawartha musky he netted came from this lake. It was 45lbs. Will give it a try for smallies i guess.

Thanks for replies!

Seems like the rocks might be even worse than i imagined. Was curious about the musky bite up there, sounds a little tough. Read a report, many years ago, where Dr.Crossman said the largest Kawartha musky he netted came from this lake. It was 45lbs. Will give it a try for smallies i guess.

Ya but Johnny, you destroy props in the driveway...smacking two on any lake isn't saying much out of the norm for you is it? Par for just about all courses if I remember lol? It's a tiny, tiny lake. Never any need to even trim down your outboard if you've got a decent trolling motor set-up. It's full of fish, been there four times in four very different types of weather/season and filled the boat with both basses, walleye and its full of small muskie. A great lake to bring somebody who's never fished before to get them their mojo. Poking around the underwater slabs of rock+cabbage with jigs is about as complex as we made it for walleye and bass. Any kind of spinnerbait will catch muskie. We stayed away from baits with trebles in there, tons of fish and lots of coontail and cabbage. Great deep weed in this lake as mentioned. Actually a very pretty lake. There's a couple locals you'll see dragging around kill chains of giant bass in small tin boats. Guess that's normal for a lot of lakes. We used black jigs (rubber, hair) black spinnerbaits and black plastics. Pretty well everything we caught was spitting distance from some type of prop-wrecker reef or thick grass bed. A very easy lake to fish, we fished the obvious spots. Beautiful lake to be on late Sept/Oct.

Pretty well everything we caught was spitting distance from some type of prop-wrecker reef or thick grass bed. A very easy lake to fish, we fished the obvious spots. Beautiful lake to be on late Sept/Oct.

Alright, a fairly positive reply that makes this endeavour seem more worthwhile. Thanks!

Wondering about the launch do you have to pay or is it public? The shallowness shouldn't matter.

Guest Johnny Bass

Ya but Johnny, you destroy props in the driveway...smacking two on any lake isn't saying much out of the norm for you is it? Par for just about all courses if I remember lol? It's a tiny, tiny lake. Never any need to even trim down your outboard if you've got a decent trolling motor set-up. It's full of fish, been there four times in four very different types of weather/season and filled the boat with both basses, walleye and its full of small muskie. A great lake to bring somebody who's never fished before to get them their mojo. Poking around the underwater slabs of rock+cabbage with jigs is about as complex as we made it for walleye and bass. Any kind of spinnerbait will catch muskie. We stayed away from baits with trebles in there, tons of fish and lots of coontail and cabbage. Great deep weed in this lake as mentioned. Actually a very pretty lake. There's a couple locals you'll see dragging around kill chains of giant bass in small tin boats. Guess that's normal for a lot of lakes. We used black jigs (rubber, hair) black spinnerbaits and black plastics. Pretty well everything we caught was spitting distance from some type of prop-wrecker reef or thick grass bed. A very easy lake to fish, we fished the obvious spots. Beautiful lake to be on late Sept/Oct.

Well.... I've been to many, many lakes and maybe busted my prop 5 times? One on Lower Buck, One on Scugog believe it or not, 1 at lake X and at least 2 on head lake. You figure it out. As far as catching fish that easy on head? You must be using live bait or something because the only easy catches are Smallies. Or maybe you just know the lake better than me. Regardless, its not as easy as you make it seem and I will be waiting to hear Ehg's report.

The pickeral are hard to come by, and the largies are hit and miss. And like I mentioned, the musky's are not what they used to be.

When I first started going the Musky were plentiful(in the fall). Not so much anymore.

And my trolling motor does not move as fast as I'd like it to. Alumacraft is a nice boat but it is very heavy and the 55lb thrust minkota had a hard time pulling it around.

Alright, a fairly positive reply that makes this endeavour seem more worthwhile. Thanks!

Wondering about the launch do you

have to pay or is it public? The

shallowness shouldn't matter.

It's a beach launch and should still be free. Should be mentioned there is no marina on the lake so gas up, not that you'll need it. Good luck!