Trout Fishing

ciceri

Me and my buddy want to try for some trout in the Ganaraska possibly, but we don't have fly rods or anything, just our spinning gear. What would be our best bet for a decent set up to get us a fish or two? Would casting spoons and spinners work?

Thanks guys..

Hi I live in Port Hope so I know the Ganny well. Try using flies or eggs you don't need to fly fish to use flies. Wolley buggers have been working great for me try green or brown buggers size 10-12. Fluro is key I using 3lbs. But if your not able to get any flies small spinner should work. Hope this helps!

If you're fishing from shore.... like Fisherman said a big dew worm on a slip bobber type rig, similar to the ones used for walleyes. Use 6 - 8lbs mono on a spinning type setup and you're good to go :)

I tie on a small swivel, a bell sinker type and the rig. You can also make your own with floating jigs.

Here's a pic of the rig..... It's the one with the white bobber.... the red is the one I made... Mepps Black Furry is another options if you are going to be moving around the shore

DSC03881.jpg

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Leechman

Since we're on the topic of river fishing, what exactly is a pool? I live by the fast flowing part of the river, is it where the water is calm or something? I've only caught creek chubs from that.

Basically a deeper depression in the river/creek where the fish hold up. There's a little less current in there to give the fish a place to hold up without spending a lot of energy.

Basically a deeper depression in the river/creek where the fish hold up. There's a little less current in there to give the fish a place to hold up without spending a lot of energy.

So how would you be able to tell by the current? Swirling or something?

Thanks everyone, all this info is very helpful. We couldn't find any where to really fish for browns or bows, so we went and found a couple creeks that held small Specks, that was fun.

We've never fished for browns or rainbows, so we had no idea where to go, just drove around till we found water pretty much :canadian:

Gotta do some more research.

u can still use roa with spinning gear that would be our best bet!!

Me and my buddy want to try for some trout in the Ganaraska possibly, but we don't have fly rods or anything, just our spinning gear. What would be our best bet for a decent set up to get us a fish or two? Would casting spoons and spinners work?

Thanks guys..

I don't know what I'm talking about but if I had smaller 1/8 and 1/16oz spinners I would of been able to get more strikes from little trout. Try those, get yourself some 4-8lb mono or fluorocarbon line bud. Those and even tiny rapala crankbaits have worked...was watching a guy fishing around logs wit this thing and you would not believe how many small trout he was catching on it.

Give either of these a try and you should be able to get some fish. Spot some bigger fish and cast upwards of them...longer rod helps when fishing the middle or other side of the river...if ur creepin on little guys shorter rods would be best. I was stuck with a 6'6 but it did the job...a 7 with 6lb fluoro would be ideal for spinners on bigger fish and a 6-6'3 would be fine for smaller fish with occasional big boys comin out to play.

Use what you have but Ryan man...trout do not like fireline Crystal...or maybe it was me they didn't like ;)

I don't know what I'm talking about but if I had smaller 1/8 and 1/16oz spinners I would of been able to get more strikes from little trout. Try those, get yourself some 4-8lb mono or fluorocarbon line bud. Those and even tiny rapala crankbaits have worked...was watching a guy fishing around logs wit this thing and you would not believe how many small trout he was catching on it.

Give either of these a try and you should be able to get some fish. Spot some bigger fish and cast upwards of them...longer rod helps when fishing the middle or other side of the river...if ur creepin on little guys shorter rods would be best. I was stuck with a 6'6 but it did the job...a 7 with 6lb fluoro would be ideal for spinners on bigger fish and a 6-6'3 would be fine for smaller fish with occasional big boys comin out to play.

Use what you have but Ryan man...trout do not like fireline Crystal...or maybe it was me they didn't like ;)

I was running 4 pound trilene today on my 6'6" medium light with just a spinner for brookies, we couldn't locate the big trout.

you should be able to buy some smaller trout worms at your local bait shop, and even roe for that matter, small hooks size 10-14 and small split shot all under a float, or bottom bouncing.

Hot pink and red plastic worms have been working for me lately too, and wooly buggers and egg suckin leeches can be key, you really have to try different things until you find something they like.

The smaller spinners and crankbaits do work, but it can be hard to fish them if there is anyone else fishing at the pool you are fishing.

Good Luck!