Suckers for Cat Fish Bait

skeeter

How Do You Cut Up suckers when using them for cat fish bait?

from the back bone down to the belly, in 1/2 " chunks??

yup, if you get alot of hits and misses cut it smaller, some of the bigger suckers end up with 3" long chunks of cutbait and they suck on it instead of eating it, cut in half and your good

Hey Dann, when you heading down to the Grand? I hit it AGAIN last night, this time with my brother Will... we started late, on the water and fishing around 3:30pm and, well, you will just have to wait until later today for my Kittycat part 5 report... ;) Will is still grinning...

As brifishrgy mentioned above, don't make the chunks too big, I had my first two cats get off yesterday at boatside, and both times, they were not even hooked - they had just clamped down on the sucker meat!!! (both times I had used big pieces). I fillet the fish as you would a walleye, except cut through the ribs instead of teasing the meat off of them. The bones don't seem to turn the cats off at all... I then use a strong pair of scissors and cut the fillet into 1" wide x 2" long chunks - the thick back meat and about half of the rib meat. I find that the small to medium suckers are the best - with the big ones, the chunks can be a bit too thick - the smaller cats have a bit of trouble getting it in their yap.

Edited by Fisherpete

Went up to the Grand between Caledonia and Cayuga last night, not a single bite until the sun set, then the cats were hitting worms like they owed them money... Wonder what the wife has planned for tonight that I can get out of......whistling.gif

LMAO young_one...!!! I'm not touching any chunky suckers from now on!!!

With the circle hooks, you do not 'set' the hook as with normal fishing... just a gentle 'sweep' back on the rod... this causes the point of the circle hook to find it's way into the corner of the fishes mouth virtually every time. Not setting the hook is a hard habit to break... but practice makes perfect! I'm actually going to try some smaller sized circle hooks baited with corn in a month or so when the carp start going crazy on Rice Lake.