OHL followers

misfish

Our local Rogers was playing BINGO instead of the game lol :wallbash:

However, I did a browse the guide and looked up OHL and there she was. It was playing on a Rogers Sportspak channel in the 400s. Terrible commentary though.

Congrats to spitfire, they deserved the repeat.

How about the no handshake at the end of the game for the coaches? I didn't get to keep that good of tabs on the series but I did see the hit on the goalie, but was there more that went on that would cause the windsor coach not to shake marty's hand?

Other than the possibility of a league requested blackout I'd say something about how typically Rogers that is to carry it in Stratford but not in Barrie. As for the blackout I doubt many fans would feel compelled to make the trip to Windsor because they couldn't get it on tv.

JF

I did that trip for last years OHL final Game 5 only to see my Battalion lose in 5 games (One game better then Barrie did!)...Man do them Windsor fans and team managment/P.R. know how to put on a good product from the pregame tailgate to the game opening light show - maybe the pops on the bus ride down enhanced everything but it was a great time to be had :P . Congrates again Windsor, very respectful fans also! :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Barrie's lack of adversity in getting to the final, I think did them in. Before they knew it they were down 3-0 and in a spot they were not used to.

That's the first I heard of the no handshake... Not good or the "Canadian way" no matter the excuse.

Edited by muskybugged

It must be a ,GENTELMEN THING,right John :dunno:

That was total crap. :oops:

I gotta admit that there were times when I was coaching minor ball & hockey that it took all the restraint I had to just reach out and shake some "adults" hands after games. I'd have rather spit on a few of them. There were a few interactions that I wasn't real proud of afterwards but I tried not to let them happen around the kids.

JF

Like drafting the Windsor GM's kid out of midget in the first round - fair game but against their gentleman's agreement. The Barrie organization is showing themselves as a cheap shot organization from the back office out to the ice.

I'm not a fan of OHL hockey and could care less about the colts, but I think you're missing the point here. My understanding is that Windsor passed him by in the first round (understandable as he supposed to be a 2nd rounder)but then also traded down after that!!!To me that's being greedy. Trading your 2nd rounder for some other assets, knowing that everyone will leave him alone, and you'll get your own son at a bargain (lower pick than he should have been). If this is what happened, I commend the colts for taking a stand and selecting this kid. The windsor GM was abusing the "gentleman's agreement" by trading down his 2nd pick. Forgive me if I'm wrong (as I said I'm not a fan) but if he did trade down his 2nd pick somebody had to make a point and draft the kid, just happened to be Barrie.

I'm not a fan of OHL hockey and could care less about the colts, but I think you're missing the point here. My understanding is that Windsor passed him by in the first round (understandable as he supposed to be a 2nd rounder)but then also traded down after that!!!To me that's being greedy. Trading your 2nd rounder for some other assets, knowing that everyone will leave him alone, and you'll get your own son at a bargain (lower pick than he should have been). If this is what happened, I commend the colts for taking a stand and selecting this kid. The windsor GM was abusing the "gentleman's agreement" by trading down his 2nd pick. Forgive me if I'm wrong (as I said I'm not a fan) but if he did trade down his 2nd pick somebody had to make a point and draft the kid, just happened to be Barrie.

You're right. I don't really follow Major JR any more so I missed that detail. But there's enough other bush league stuff going on that they should all be a little embarrassed. I had my fill of hockey politics years ago when Barrie was still Tier II. I don't even know when the leaque changed.

JF

I gotta admit that there were times when I was coaching minor ball & hockey that it took all the restraint I had to just reach out and shake some "adults" hands after games. I'd have rather spit on a few of them. There were a few interactions that I wasn't real proud of afterwards but I tried not to let them happen around the kids.

JF

When the final whistle goes,the game is over.(man was that so hard to tell the kids even my own)No matter what happen before,as a coach(and I was one aswell for many years) the game is over. I can understand your input John,but it,s in good nature to just shake and go on your way.

You're right. I don't really follow Major JR any more so I missed that detail. But there's enough other bush league stuff going on that they should all be a little embarrassed. I had my fill of hockey politics years ago when Barrie was still Tier II. I don't even know when the leaque changed.

JF

I still remember taking my son to a game in the old Dunlop barn.

They were playing Orrilla.This guy came from no where, and dove into the box to fight one of the players.I would like to say he was a fan,but just a Just crazy goon..

Hey,how about them Bruins. :thumbsup_anim:

The series is over so if you like mods.feel free to lock this on out.

CONGRATS WINDSOR AND BEST OF LUCK.

Edited by BrianB

When the final whistle goes,the game is over.(man was that so hard to tell the kids even my own)No matter what happen before,as a coach(and I was one aswell for many years) the game is over. I can understand your input John,but it,s in good nature to just shake and go on your way.

You're right, and I was usually pretty good at it, but when adults started getting into it physically with the kids I got mad. I remember one night I stood back to back with the referee (a cop in his day job) trying to protect my 10 year old players from a handful of fathers who didn't like the fact that we won. The game had gotten pretty rough for a game that was supposed to have no hitting and my guys didn't start the dirty stuff but they sure finished it. The ref/cop filed a report about it that supported my team all the way and he was from the same town as the losers and we were playing in their rink. Then there were the handshakes were the coaches apologized to each other for their parents behaviour. I won't name any cities but there were a few minor organizations that weren't noted for classy behaviour in those days. We've had bus tires slashed and players beaten up in the parking lot. I even had one of my own player parents come up behind me and sucker punch me for benching his kid. That was a class act. But hey, isn't that what minor sports is supposed to be about? :lol:

I'm sure every guy who ever coached has tons of stupid war stories.

JF

I'm sure every guy who ever coached has tons of stupid war stories.

Dont get me started,

Thanks John for the replies to this thread and all others that did.

It,s a game.Yes we can get carried away,but the bottom line is,,,,,,,,

IT,S A GAME.