Lunkerville on WFN

TC1OZ

Just wanted to stir up some conversation.. as I know how much of a problem some of you guys have with this situation..

The episode was the "family fishing" episode and he was out fishing for little pan fish with his daughter.

The host was fishing with his wife and daughter at the top of this small waterfall. The wife was razzing him about not catching anything. His daughter catches a little bass, and being a little girl he takes it off the hook for her.

He then turns into himself and re-hooks the fish on his line, tosses the fish back to the bottom of the waterfall and "pretends to catch it". Now I know this was all in good fun and I'm really not offended by it.

But isn't that illegal?

Discuss... :whistling:

:blahblah1:

Mike is a member here, send him a PM

I have no problem with it, thus I'm not going to send him a PM.

But I was just wondering isn't this technically the same as snagging a fish, re-hooking it, and pretending you caught it?

no its not the same as snagging a fish

Well the fish was legally caught. Unhooked. Re-hooked on a different line. Thrown back in the water. And reeled back in.

Not exactly the same.

Looks like I made a bad post... :wallbash:

But am I wrong on this being illegal or not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, don't just tell me I'm wrong. Tell me why.

Edited by TC1OZ

Just wanted to stir up some conversation.. as I know how much of a problem some of you guys have with this situation..

I think in this case the operative words are "stir up"......

I think in this case the operative words are "stir up"......

:whistling: I haven't seen GCD around in the last couple of weeks.. Figure someones gotta stir the pot.

Edited by TC1OZ

But am I wrong on this being illegal or not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, don't just tell me I'm wrong. Tell me why.

the fish was caught legally, what was done after doesn't matter, some throw them back and some throw them in livewells or tow them on stringers for hours till they decide to kill them. as long as it was legally caught there was nothing wrong with what he did.

the fish was caught legally, what was done after doesn't matter, some throw them back and some throw them in livewells or tow them on stringers for hours till they decide to kill them. as long as it was legally caught there was nothing wrong with what he did.

I hope you never run into a CO. They are a little more firm on the rules.

Sorry for this post...

Didn't know I was going to ruffle feathers.

I just like discussing the laws that we live by.

Technically the fish was not caught by angling methods which is illegal.

I was pretty shocked seeing this on TV.

I guess we can turn a blind eye to some things.

dont you just love this forum for that.. you post a question and you get all kind of replies.. saying basically how your dumb for asking questions..

now I didnt see this episode.. but im sure if I did I would probably post the same question...

and well I dont have an answer to give you.. but I guess the fish is a part of his limit.. though I am no CO.. so ..

Just wanted to stir up some conversation...

The episode was the "family fishing" episode and he was out fishing for little pan fish with his daughter.

The host was fishing with his wife and daughter at the top of this small waterfall. The wife was razzing him about not catching anything. His daughter catches a little bass, and being a little girl he takes it off the hook for her.

He then turns into himself and re-hooks the fish on his line, tosses the fish back to the bottom of the waterfall and "pretends to catch it". I'm really not offended by it.

Wow, wouldn't wanna bring you fishing with the kids. They would all be scared you would phone the cops or CO's or something.

dont you just love this forum for that.. you post a question and you get all kind of replies.. saying basically how your dumb for asking questions..

now I didnt see this episode.. but im sure if I did I would probably post the same question...

and well I dont have an answer to give you.. but I guess the fish is a part of his limit.. though I am no CO.. so ..

HAHAHA Thanks.

Finally someone who just answered the damn question.

I'm not sure either... Thus why I asked.

I just know that its illegal to pick a fish out of water with your hands, not sure what the rules are on re-hooking a fish on a different line and throwing it back in the water/reeling it in are....

I only posted this because I know how hard core some people are on this forum... ripping on people for throwing the fish back in rather than releasing them with care... or for keeping it out of the water for too long. But when someone on TV re-hooks a fish and huffs it back into the water attached to a hook and reels it back in....no big deal.

(To me it is no big deal, but some of the hardcore people should have a problem with this.)

What he did was wrong and while I don't know if it's illegal, he should be frowned upon as doing that only decreases the fishes chance of survival, unless he was keeping a baby bass?

He didn't keep it. After he pretended to catch it again he just tossed it back in. Not sure if its illegal thus why I made the topic and put a

"?" after the illegal fishing... I guess people are missing the point of my post and assuming I'm trying to flame this guy... Just wondering if what he did was right... doesn't seem right to me. Even if its not illegal he didn't show the fish any respect. A 4 inch bass deserves as much respect as a 42" musky in my opinion.

wow.. TC10Z Im with ya on this one.. one day people are freaking on people for dropping a fish into the water from to high up.. the next day they could give a crap.. must just be that its a beauty day and they are stuck at work so there a little grumpy..

Funny enough he was a good 4 feet above the water he toss the hooked fish back into, plus his height. I actually watched this episode on my lunch break at work and thought to myself... Man I bet people on OFC would rip this guy a new :asshat: if they saw what he was doing here...

---------------------

I could care less, I'd do the same. I just posed the question if this was illegal or not. I know there are some hard core naturalists/conservationists who would take offense to this kind of action. And the fact that its not just some random guy.. this guy is on TV setting the example for anyone watching. Is that how you treat a fish?