Landscaping legal question

Radnine

Hi All,

Last year my wife had our back yard drawn up by a land scape designer.

It looks good, I mean it looks like the research on plant types etc. was well done, but I have a concern. There is a divide between our neighbours and our driveways that is about two feet wide and all on the neighbour's property. The plan shows a line of cedars right down the middle of the property line (there to hide the neighbour's house, which is most heinous). They are split between properties because, I assume, that they would eat up too much of our driveway if they were all on our side.

My wife says "No problem, I will talk to the neighbour and I'm sure that she will agree".

I think that even if this neighbour agrees, when the next person moves in and has a survey done, they might say "Hey, those trees are half on my property, move them or loose them!"

Am I right to be worried?

Thanks,

Jim

If they are planted on your side of the property line, no problem, however the neighbour can trim those cedars branches up to the property line. Makes for a funny looking hedge.

I say, move to the couintry where we dont have these disputes.

Plant them so they are one inch over you're property line. If the neighbour decides to damage you're Cedars, they belong to you, they are on you're lot and would be considered vandalism. knowing cedars they dont really "bush out" too much anyways... but grow up. So I doubt you would have an issue in the future....

Just keep them on you're lot and you have some future recourse if you need it.

G.

The rules for plant hedging are the same as the rules for fencing between properties. They both serve the same purpose when planted and maintained properly.

The landscape designer should have known that and provided a secondary plan for that part of the yard in case the neighbour is not keen on sharing the hedge.

Edited by bigugli