Time to look for a bigger Boat

I've finally decided to treat myself and look for a bigger boat :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: .......I've looked at a few used boat sites and came across what I thought was a sweet deal on an immaculate Starcraft...problem was, the owner wanted CASH only, and said his trailer wasn't licensed so we couldn't take it out to a body of water to try it out :unsure::wallbash: ....I take it that these are some of the obstacles I am going to have to experience buying used...

If anyone has some good sites, or tips on buying in the U.S please pass them along..

Also, I was talking to a lad at a local Marina, and he told me that I better make sure that the boat I buy is Canadian certified or else I just might get stuck at the border....what does this mean?????

Thanks,

Steve

Fairly straight-forward process - bought a boat in Georgia last year.

The Canadian dealer was just blowing smoke.

Search for "Pat's boating in Canada." I found a good guide on importing. Lots of information on the net. I found it actually harder to license the trailer in Canada than to import the boat.

Make sure you have all of your documentation at the border. They may ask to see a copy of the original ad - take a copy with you. They do that to ensure you don't have a fake bill of sale for a lesser amount to avoid taxes. I paid a few hundered less, but that's just normal negotiation, which they are fine with.

Make sure you break out the value of the boat, motor and trailer on the invoice. You have to pay the taxes at the border, have debit or credit with enough limit, on the boat and motor and gst on the trailer. PST on the trailer will come when you license it - when you license the trailer, they will want to ensure you paid PST on the motor and boat, so take the paperwork from the border with you. I did not get a temp. permit to drive the trailer in Canada, but ran into no problems. You have either 5 or 7 days to license the trailer once you bring it back in.

I had a folder in it with everything and kept it all in one spot.

I crossed the border at about 4 in the morning, on line up. Coming across I just said I am importing this boat and trailer and the guy in the booth said I was the 4th that day and to pull over and go inside with a slip of paper he gave me. Pretty simple process and they knew what they were doing. If you are over 24H you can use your exemption on the taxes on the boat/motor, but not the trailer. If you take a household member with you, you get double the tax exemption.

Read up - it is really easy and way worth it to save multiple thousands vs. buying a used boat here in canada.

My points above are not exhaustive, so do your own research.

Fairly straight-forward process - bought a boat in Georgia last year.

The Canadian dealer was just blowing smoke.

Search for "Pat's boating in Canada." I found a good guide on importing. Lots of information on the net. I found it actually harder to license the trailer in Canada than to import the boat.

Make sure you have all of your documentation at the border. They may ask to see a copy of the original ad - take a copy with you. They do that to ensure you don't have a fake bill of sale for a lesser amount to avoid taxes. I paid a few hundered less, but that's just normal negotiation, which they are fine with.

Make sure you break out the value of the boat, motor and trailer on the invoice. You have to pay the taxes at the border, have debit or credit with enough limit, on the boat and motor and gst on the trailer. PST on the trailer will come when you license it - when you license the trailer, they will want to ensure you paid PST on the motor and boat, so take the paperwork from the border with you. I did not get a temp. permit to drive the trailer in Canada, but ran into no problems. You have either 5 or 7 days to license the trailer once you bring it back in.

I had a folder in it with everything and kept it all in one spot.

I crossed the border at about 4 in the morning, on line up. Coming across I just said I am importing this boat and trailer and the guy in the booth said I was the 4th that day and to pull over and go inside with a slip of paper he gave me. Pretty simple process and they knew what they were doing. If you are over 24H you can use your exemption on the taxes on the boat/motor, but not the trailer. If you take a household member with you, you get double the tax exemption.

Read up - it is really easy and way worth it to save multiple thousands vs. buying a used boat here in canada.

My points above are not exhaustive, so do your own research.

Thanks Dutch!!!

a little experience bout when i bought my boat few years back from the states

i saw my prov on a site made contact with the owner and sent him a few bucks to hold the boat

made arrangements at a local marina there to check the boat and motor out...leakdown down test and compression test

i kept the internet ad for proof of cost when i crossed the border

i wired money down to a bank which i could pay for the boat once it all checked out....seller was very helpful and accomadating

after all the paper was done i started the trek back to canada

got to the border and the officer at the booth asks "anything to claim"..... yeah that 20 footer behind me lol..and a few dollars of tackle and some odds an ends

she directs me to park to the side and go in

once inside i show the officer all the paper work i had ,ad of the boat, bill of sale

he tells me i need to pay for gst and pst on the boat and gst only on the trailer

keep your bill of taxes paid as i just rec'd a letter from the gov't saying i owe taxes on the boat ...two years later

i was on my way from the border crossing in less than 45 min....

got in toronto went to cdn tire got the trailer certified and then went to the minstry to get my ont plates

then off to canadian services to register the boat get my numbers

i would guess the hardest part is locating the right boat and making the deal

as for the gov't part .....not hard at all

good luck

cheers peter

I am in the process of looking for a boat as well and I have spoke to a couple of dealers and it`s sounded like they do a lot of business with canucks and they will have all the necessary papers in order to get you back home without issue,the big deal of course is warranty if you need warranty work done you have to make the drive again. If your buying used then warranty is not an issue.

In my research there does not seem to be a big price difference in the lower end of the market(10-13K) unless your willing to do all that running around to save grand, as you move up in price a bit there seems to be more savings to be had.

I think the big advantage with buying in the States is the variety seems to be a lot more to choose from down there and the dealers actually have some inventory or they can get it fast unlike our dealers who have little inventory and a 2 month delivery.

I am amazed at the number of used boats that are for sale up here that come from the States, dealers and private re-sellers are snapping these up that is probably one reason that you really have to look hard to find a good uded deal.

Up here the real good deals go fast it`s almost like you have to be driving around with a pocket full money and your laptop searching for a boat, I lost out on a good one this morning.

Snooze you lose!!

Good luck in your search.

I spent a lot of time this winter searching the net for the right boat. Missed a couple of good ones because they sold within 24 hours. Finally bought one from a friend and am waiting to pick it up. I did notice a rash of scams on some sites ...usually offering a deal that was too good to be true and promising 'satisfaction guaranteed' through ebay (or something). Just send the $$$. Unbelieble ...must work for them sometimes! The hair stands up on the back of my neck whenever anyone who "don't worry, trust me".

I spent a lot of time this winter searching the net for the right boat. Missed a couple of good ones because they sold within 24 hours. Finally bought one from a friend and am waiting to pick it up. I did notice a rash of scams on some sites ...usually offering a deal that was too good to be true and promising 'satisfaction guaranteed' through ebay (or something). Just send the $$$. Unbelieble ...must work for them sometimes! The hair stands up on the back of my neck whenever anyone who "don't worry, trust me".

You wanna see scam`s check out the buy and sell sight,unbelievable how these companies let these crooks on their site.

"the big deal of course is warranty if you need warranty work done you have to make the drive again."

Warranty is valid in Canada on new boats and motors. Just pick a marina that services your brand of boat and contact them for repairs.

If that is the case then great, I will look into it further.

Edited by lookinforwalleye

IS there a way to check and ensure that there are no liens against a boat your are buying on a private/non-dealer sale??.....

Would I be better off to risk trailering the boat back to Ottawa without a plate or should I bring my plate from my boat trailer and use that??

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

Bigger than your Pontoon boat Steve?

Lots of good deals here in Quebec Steve.Check out www.lespac.com go to vehicles and marine.

What kind of fishing boat are you looking for?

The pontoon is good for the river Mike but a pain in the :asshat: to trailer to other lakes... :Gonefishing:

I'm looking at a 20' Tracker Tundra ......we'll see :whistling:

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

IS there a way to check and ensure that there are no liens against a boat your are buying on a private/non-dealer sale??.....

Would I be better off to risk trailering the boat back to Ottawa without a plate or should I bring my plate from my boat trailer and use that??

When you find the boat you want you need to give US customs the VIN and Hull numbers 72 hours before crossing and they check for you.