Mounting Downriggers

cwpowell

I mounted mine on a board too. I take it off when I'm not using them. My boat is a tiller, so my riggers are just ahead of me, mounted on the board permanent, with the board clamped onto the gunnels. I could have mounted them on the back corners, but with a guy on the tiller, and another guy setting up/grabbing a fish on, I didn't like the idea of all the weight in the stern of the boat. Especially if its at all rough. Works good for me.

S.

• 1 month later...

So what did you end up doing with the mounting job? I am curious b/c it seems that you and i have very similar scenarios! I also have a 16' aluminum and the same manual cannons.

Questions for the chap who mentioned the backing plate beneath the gunwale. I am assuming this is for strength/support. What material would you use? Are you simply cutting out a piece that is roughly the same size as the factory mounting plate? How do you mount it (beneath the gunwale)? Are you drilling the plate into the piece of material?

Thanks!

So what did you end up doing with the mounting job? I am curious b/c it seems that you and i have very similar scenarios! I also have a 16' aluminum and the same manual cannons.

Questions for the chap who mentioned the backing plate beneath the gunwale. I am assuming this is for strength/support. What material would you use? Are you simply cutting out a piece that is roughly the same size as the factory mounting plate? How do you mount it (beneath the gunwale)? Are you drilling the plate into the piece of material?

Thanks!

Again, a pic would really help you, get help.

The board works best for me.

S.

The best way to mount your riggers is straight off the transom, the further back the better, side mounts work but can cause lots of problems if fishing deep 100'+ and also if trolling at high speeds 3.5mph+. The problem with the side mounting tends to be the belly of line will run under the boat on turns or contour fishing,with the riggers running straight out the back the line and cannonballs track better with boat. Your lures and lines follow the path of your boats turns alot more accuratly if run straight back off the transom

The line also clears the boat alot easier if a big King hits and goes for a run if your running off the stern.

Edited by canadadude