first April Kawartha fishing trip

Terry

I have been working hard to get my boat ready for spring

I got the steering in and most of the boat back together, but not all of it

I tested the motors, took a couple of hours to get the 2.5 hp to keep running. the 90hp started right up

I had to put a transducer on the trolling motor and hook the motor back up

Then install the hds5 fishfinder the x27c which I am now using as a GPS and for the front the X15..But still had lots more of fixing up and cleaning up to do

However Thursday night I decided to take her for a spin Saturday..The Kawarthas was the location I picked..somehow it still seemed wrong to be fishing there this time of year...bad boy bad boy where you gonna fish , where you gonna fish when they come for you................just seems wrong

I pulled into the parking lot and there was only one car, no trailers there, thought it would be full. as I was getting the boat ready to launch a guy came from the pier and we talked

he claimed to have had on 2 pike but they got off…yeah…..we know all fishermen are liars ..well, except you and me of course and there are no fish in this lake

DSCF3675.jpg

Any ways I got on the water and went to where I thought the crappie might be as I had never fished this lake for crappie before...It's not like fishing simcoe that's for sure

the motor slowed right down and wouldn't get me up on plane...oopppppssssssss..note to self..check the oil level now and then...back to the truck

I have skidoo oil and it looks the same and same rating so in it goes and off I go again

I went to many more spots that I thought might hold them, what do I know..Nothing

I decided because I couldn't find the right type of shoreline or docks that had water under them I headed for some large posts in the water

DSCF3676.jpg

DSCF3679.jpg

DSCF3678.jpg

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/Mrbeee1954/PICT0004.flv">

I had to work my way through the ice some large areas of ice and some icebergs, one part of the ride I was very close to shore because the ice was almost covering the whole bay

I got to the spot and fished it hard

DSCF3680.jpg

Not a bite....

As I was casting I thought to myself. self it's getting harder to control the boat with the trolling motor..Oh the wind is really picking up...then it hit me will I be able to get back through all that ice..

I took off

as soon as I saw the ice I knew it had all blown to the north side of the lake and it would be an easier trip back....

I had a great time fishing the Kawarthas before the second Saturday in May

The fishfinders and GPS worked ok the HDS5 does not like water under 4ft deep, but I can live with that

I had to run the bilge pump most of the time because I didn't fill in the holes from some screws and bolts I took out of the transom..I meant to put them back in..and will tomorrow..LOL

And made it home safely...so that's a good day

Now to get back to fixing her up

Edited by Terry

Try shallower next time. Like really shallow. Get away from the main lake, and back in a cove, or channel......that's where they are now. Its all temp, if you can find water that is a few degrees warmer than the main lake, you'll find the crappies in there somewhere.

At least ya got the bugs all worked out........I hope :whistling::tease:

S.

yeah yeah Wayne..LOL I knew I did it..but I didn't think the water would come in as fast as it did...I wore a lifejacket..LOL

I tried real shallow , every canal and river but where I was the shallow water was gin clear, no weeds and rock, I had a couple more spots to try but there was ice in the way

I will try another lake on Monday

Kinda sounds like it was Balsam on Friday morning- if so that was me that spoke with you on the ramp. I was not lying, lol, was casting off the pier and had two small follows- looked like Pike, but may of course have been 'skis. Glad you had a chance to shake down your rig.

LOL

sorry dude

What can I say

If I don't catch fish, I don't believe anyone caught fish...LOL

I had my OFC hat on too bad you didn't notice, it's always great to meet another OFNer and I wouldn't have picked on you...LOL

anyways, as other have said it's just great getting out, fish are a bonus

Never even looked a the aht or I would have said something! Was out today in my boat for the morning. Managed a pretty looking but small 'ski in the bottom of West bay- not the Pike I was hoping for. Cut the hooks and released him in the water as per the regs. Earliest in the year I have ever caught a musky.