Aw Crap - gear case oil leaking by the prop

canuckjack

When I changed the gear case oil last night I noticed there was water in it, but I was pretty sure I'd found the problem when I noticed there weren't any O-rings on the vent and drain screws.

Took her for a good run today and thought everything was great, but now I noticed there's some gearcase oil leaking behind the prop. :wallbash:

So I could use some advice, do I start by changing the seals directly behind the thrust bearing or are the guilty seals further in? And is this major surgery or are these seals accessible just by removing the prop?

Is the engine a 2 stroke or 4. Got fooled myself once. Thought excess unburned 2 cycle oil draining out the underwater exhaust port was gear case oil. It wasn't.

It's a 2 stroke, but unfortunately I'm positive that it's gear case oil based on colour and smell

I believe I found the problem

Where there was supposed to be propeller seals, I found....Absolutely NOTHING!

IMG_1195.JPG

Well actually I did pull this crap out:

IMG_1194.JPG

Boy I'm ticked :angry: no wonder the gear case oil looked like crap when I drained it.

I've learned something today, next time I buy a used boat this maintenance is getting done before she ever hits the water. Hopefully I didn't do any damage by using it. Guess I'd better drain the gear case oil again...

Usually when line gets wrapped around the prop shaft, it "burns" the seal from friction, if in doubt, for the price of a cotter pin, pull the prop off and check it.

Good advice, I went and grabbed a bunch of cotter pins at CTC today for just that purpose...how often do you check those seals?

Now the boat's gonna have to sit for a week while the parts shop orders the seals in :wallbash: :wallbash:

Every fall, when the lower unit oil gets changed and twice during the rest of the fishing season. I caught a piece of monofilament once just trolling around, saw the tag end of the line when the boat came out of the water, had about 10 turns around the prop shaft but nothing under the seal, thank god. That's what happens when some people cut line off to retie and throw the piece overboard.