One Month To Go

ADB

So, I have essentially one month to go until I hit Algonquin on May 2nd. Our site has been booked, the water-taxi has been booked, and we're picking up the rest of our gear this weekend.

We'll be portaging the Opeongo Loop, which will take us to our ultimate destination, Lake Lavielle for a few days. We'll also be spending our first night at Big Crow, and exiting through the Dickson-Bonfield portage.

This trip has been more than a year in the making and I feel like we've planned pretty well. I've been to Algonquin a couple times before, but never on a trip of this magnitude. I've read a few books and combed the web and I feel like we're good to go.

I'm writing here just to see if anyone has any extra words of advice from past experience. Items that you brought that you shouldn't have, items you didn't bring that you should've, etc. We'll be spending three full days at Lavielle, and if any has any ideas of things we should see or places we should go while we're there, that would be appreciated too.

Lastly, since this is OFC afterall, any fishing tips would help a lot. I'm not so much concerned with technique, as just after ice-out it should be pretty straight forward. But we will be relying somewhat on the fish for food (so as to lighten our packs) and any experience you have had on Crow River, Big Crow, Lavielle, or Dickson would sure come in handy.

Thanks!

Edited by ADB

i recommend AlgonquinAdventures.com for Algonquin advice. Fishing information is hit or miss, but trip-logs, recommend websites, things to check out, etc. can all be found there.

Sounds like you're all set. I'm jealous!

Yup, I already have been there. Thanks Jayess!

Put a bottle of Vodka mixed with Vermouth in the freezer. Pack some olives in a zip lock bag. One of the funniest fishing trips I had up there was when we were sitting by the camp fire the first night and I cut the top off a water bottle, screwed the lid on it and poured myself a martini c/w olive.

The guys just cracked up! You have to understand, I very seldome drink but they thought it was so funny to see me sitting 28 miles from the nearest landing having a martini. All was good until a hungry bear raided our camp that night!

Hope you have a super time but without the bear! Enjoy your martini!

So, I have essentially one month to go until I hit Algonquin on May 2nd. Our site has been booked, the water-taxi has been booked, and we're picking up the rest of our gear this weekend.

We'll be portaging the Opeongo Loop, which will take us to our ultimate destination, Lake Lavielle for a few days. We'll also be spending our first night at Big Crow, and exiting through the Dickson-Bonfield portage.

This trip has been more than a year in the making and I feel like we've planned pretty well. I've been to Algonquin a couple times before, but never on a trip of this magnitude. I've read a few books and combed the web and I feel like we're good to go.

I'm writing here just to see if anyone has any extra words of advice from past experience. Items that you brought that you shouldn't have, items you didn't bring that you should've, etc. We'll be spending three full days at Lavielle, and if any has any ideas of things we should see or places we should go while we're there, that would be appreciated too.

Lastly, since this is OFC afterall, any fishing tips would help a lot. I'm not so much concerned with technique, as just after ice-out it should be pretty straight forward. But we will be relying somewhat on the fish for food (so as to lighten our packs) and any experience you have had on Crow River, Big Crow, Lavielle, or Dickson would sure come in handy.

Thanks!

Have a great time. I'll be in algonquin april 23rd-26th. Not the same area though. That Dickson to Bonfield portage looks really crappy. I wouldn't do it. Good luck, I hope you pack real light. Some times I pack too light. I had to leave early one year because the fish just wouldn't cooperate and we ran out of food. I'll have a report for you before you go.

Sounds like you're well prepared. What are you using to start your fires? I would recommend bringing along some steel wool and a 9 volt battery or one of those flint/magnesium fire starters just in case your main source of ingition goes missing or wet. I still have to visit Algonquin, may be heading up there in the summer to do trip. Have a great time, I'm really looking forward to your report.

Blackflies... :wallbash:...hope you figure out a way to deal with them because they gave my friends and I pure hell. Mosquito repellent and citronella does not phase them. Wear dark colours as they are attracted to brighter ones. Other than that, we enjoyed Algonquin and would go back again.

Put a bottle of Vodka mixed with Vermouth in the freezer. Pack some olives in a zip lock bag. One of the funniest fishing trips I had up there was when we were sitting by the camp fire the first night and I cut the top off a water bottle, screwed the lid on it and poured myself a martini c/w olive.

The guys just cracked up! You have to understand, I very seldome drink but they thought it was so funny to see me sitting 28 miles from the nearest landing having a martini. All was good until a hungry bear raided our camp that night!

How many martinis did you have before this bear raid??? Maybe it was one raccoon, or two noisy red squirrels? :thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like you're well prepared. What are you using to start your fires? I would recommend bringing along some steel wool and a 9 volt battery or one of those flint/magnesium fire starters just in case your main source of ingition goes missing or wet. I still have to visit Algonquin, may be heading up there in the summer to do trip. Have a great time, I'm really looking forward to your report.

Yup, we'll be bringing both flint steel and a magnesium starter, along with our lighters and matches.

I hope there isn't a fire ban, but as Bill said, I'd be inclined to make one anyways. Lavielle is pretty remote, and I'm not saying rangers won't be there, but it is less likely than most other lakes.

But thanks to everyone for the comments so far!

Edited by ADB

:clapping:

Definitely rough to go without a fire for sure.. but that's what cook stoves and a lantern are for at times like that. We all think we won't get caught.. "if we just keep it small"... but you'll look purdy dumb if you burn down half the park and get the bill for the firefighting and the reforestation.

Total fireban on right now from Barrie up past Muskoka... absolutely NO open fires. They are making it very clear that you will be charged + the bill for the trucks and personal that respond to put out your bonfire, or worse.

Hopefully we get a GOOD dump of rain before your trip!!

I have been doing interior trips to Algonquin for many years ... you will quickly become addicted my friend to this gem of a park .... I don't want to preach but make sure you don't brings cans ... its part of the rules and its one of the things that I see people tend to not follow.

Anyways on the important stuff eh !!! .... when fishing Crow lake for lakers concentrate on the point in front of the Ranger Cabin .... the crow river holds some beautiful spots to catch some specs ... when entering Lake Lavielle ... be sure to fish the mouth of the Crow river as it exits Lavielle .. and spend as much time as possible on Dickson would be my suggestion

good luck and safe paddling !!!

I have been doing interior trips to Algonquin for many years ... you will quickly become addicted my friend to this gem of a park .... I don't want to preach but make sure you don't brings cans ... its part of the rules and its one of the things that I see people tend to not follow.

Anyways on the important stuff eh !!! .... when fishing Crow lake for lakers concentrate on the point in front of the Ranger Cabin .... the crow river holds some beautiful spots to catch some specs ... when entering Lake Lavielle ... be sure to fish the mouth of the Crow river as it exits Lavielle .. and spend as much time as possible on Dickson would be my suggestion

good luck and safe paddling !!!

Thanks for the great detail, jds63! :worthy:

But we will be relying somewhat on the fish for food (so as to lighten our packs) and any experience you have had on Crow River, Big Crow, Lavielle, or Dickson would sure come in handy.

Thanks!

My only advice is don't rely on fish for food, you can't control nature, and sometimes the fish just don't bite. It's a sure way to ensure an empty stomach and a miserable trip. Bring all the food you need, fish or no fish, seriously.

My only advice is don't rely on fish for food, you can't control nature, and sometimes the fish just don't bite. It's a sure way to ensure an empty stomach and a miserable trip. Bring all the food you need, fish or no fish, seriously.

I understand what you're saying, Smitter. We will have all of the rice, granola, soup, etc., that we need. In terms of meat or protein, we won't be bringing much, besides some steaks for the first night, and some homemade prosciutto. So, in terms of actual meat, we will be relying on catching fish. But, we will, by no means, be going hungry.

I appreciate your advice!

Have a great time. I'll be in algonquin april 23rd-26th. Not the same area though. That Dickson to Bonfield portage looks really crappy. I wouldn't do it. Good luck, I hope you pack real light. Some times I pack too light. I had to leave early one year because the fish just wouldn't cooperate and we ran out of food. I'll have a report for you before you go.

Opening day huh.. wish i could get up there that early, gonna be stuck in toronto till the next week or the week after that.

Try to get campsites u can fish from that when when ur making meals u can have some dead bait out there, increase ur chances, or just cast here and there while your setting up your site. Also when ur canoeing through lakes u dont plan on fishing it dosent hurt to troll anyway and the only difference it will make is u ll go a bit slower, save ur energy for the portage. And try to pack so that when u do a portage u do it in one trip, and dont have to go bak and forth. That will make life easier and give u more time to fish

Blackflies... :wallbash:...hope you figure out a way to deal with them because they gave my friends and I pure hell. Mosquito repellent and citronella does not phase them. Wear dark colours as they are attracted to brighter ones. Other than that, we enjoyed Algonquin and would go back again.

Really I thought it was the other way around. Or is it wear light colours like tan, whites, and grey. Avoid blacks, reds, yellows?

Anyways enjoy the trip and post pictures. Algonquin is a favorite of mine. I wish I was heading there this year but it didn't work out.

I'm writing here just to see if anyone has any extra words of advice from past experience. Items that you brought that you shouldn't have, items you didn't bring that you should've, etc. W

Couple of pointers take 'em or leave 'em

I'm not an expert by any means but I've been going to the park years, and will be there again this year April 28th to May 2nd...can't wait!

In truth That portage looks worse then it is, epecially with the warm dry weather....it should "solidify" some of the soft spots, but of course what you bring and how heavy you travel will dictate how easy or difficult your travel will be.

My tips,

I never bring Bug spray for the opener....there is never any, or enough bugs on opener to make it worth while.

Allthough keep an eye on the weather as this year might be the year I'm wrong being its warmer then normal.

Sunscreen....guys always forget it, and always get burnt.

The reflection off the water doubles your exposure...a hat won't do in high pressure skies.

I'm not sure what kinda dude you are, but My brothers get BRUTAL chapped lips from wind burn.

If you ever get chapped lips don't forget your Chap stick, or you'll be miserable.

Food wise,I like the Lipton Side kicks.

They are light, cheap, and in a burnable Package with tons of variety.

I buy the Vacume pack sealed Tuna as well...you can get lemon grass flavored, or even Curry which I pair up with Spicy Thai Side kicks, or Curry dishes...plain tuna isn't bad in Alfredo dishes either, or rice.

It works for me.

Breakfast...who doesn't like Oatmeal?

totally Light weight and filling.

Beer wise, I'd look for "Wells" it comes in plastic 2L bottles, but I used the Heinekin Mini keg last year...easy to carry with two handes but it gets heavy after a while, and the jurry is still out on whether its classed as a can or not. I know I personally packed it right infront of camp staff last year...they saw it...said nothing so I "assume" its ok but when in doubt call the park.

If your bringing Liquor, The Lipton Singles juice mixes are great....I think the Lipton guys must be outdoorsman LOL?

I always have a quarter roll of Duct Tape folded into my pack...it will repair a canoe, tarp, tent, sleeping bag or back back in a pinch, not to mention a make shift bandaid, it can be fashioned in to a rope.

Its pretty handy some times.

Fishing the opener this year is an anomoly....Record early ice out, which will bring warmer water, and more aquatic bugs(AKA Food)

I think the Lakers will be deeper then normal, and the Specs will be on fire.(knock on wood...don't want to jinx my self ;) )

Small inline Spinners of a variety of colors, and minnow baits like Rapala(especially Perch pattern)

Have been my go to lures, but Tiny Jigs with black grubs can be deadly...kinda looks like a leetch, and can be mistaked for stone flies etc...

Some guys swear by Cleo's, williams, and EGB's for Lakers in particular....slow trolled

(in truth I personally have done better with floating Rapala's, and shap raps...epecially at dusk)

Bring a tarp no matter what.

They may not call for rain before you leave but forecasts change.

I've been in situations were it didn't rain but the constent cool breeze off the water made sitting in camp misserable....a wind break can raise the temp of your camp by a couple degrees, and help control your fire if the wind picks up.

Cheers and good luck,

Edited by Cookslav

Couple of pointers take 'em or leave 'em

I'm not an expert by any means but I've been going to the park years, and will be there again this year April 28th to May 2nd...can't wait!

In truth That portage looks worse then it is, epecially with the warm dry weather....it should "solidify" some of the soft spots, but of course what you bring and how heavy you travel will dictate how easy or difficult your travel will be.

My tips,

I never bring Bug spray for the opener....there is never any, or enough bugs on opener to make it worth while.

Allthough keep an eye on the weather as this year might be the year I'm wrong being its warmer then normal.

Sunscreen....guys always forget it, and always get burnt.

The reflection off the water doubles your exposure...a hat won't do in high pressure skies.

I'm not sure what kinda dude you are, but My brothers get BRUTAL chapped lips from wind burn.

If you ever get chapped lips don't forget your Chap stick, or you'll be miserable.

Food wise,I like the Lipton Side kicks.

They are light, cheap, and in a burnable Package with tons of variety.

I buy the Vacume pack sealed Tuna as well...you can get lemon grass flavored, or even Curry which I pair up with Spicy Thai Side kicks, or Curry dishes...plain tuna isn't bad in Alfredo dishes either, or rice.

It works for me.

Breakfast...who doesn't like Oatmeal?

totally Light weight and filling.

Beer wise, I'd look for "Wells" it comes in plastic 2L bottles, but I used the Heinekin Mini keg last year...easy to carry with two handes but it gets heavy after a while, and the jurry is still out on whether its classed as a can or not. I know I personally packed it right infront of camp staff last year...they saw it...said nothing so I "assume" its ok but when in doubt call the park.

If your bringing Liquor, The Lipton Singles juice mixes are great....I think the Lipton guys must be outdoorsman LOL?

I always have a quarter roll of Duct Tape folded into my pack...it will repair a canoe, tarp, tent, sleeping bag or back back in a pinch, not to mention a make shift bandaid, it can be fashioned in to a rope.

Its pretty handy some times.

Fishing the opener this year is an anomoly....Record early ice out, which will bring warmer water, and more aquatic bugs(AKA Food)

I think the Lakers will be deeper then normal, and the Specs will be on fire.(knock on wood...don't want to jinx my self ;) )

Small inline Spinners of a variety of colors, and minnow baits like Rapala(especially Perch pattern)

Have been my go to lures, but Tiny Jigs with black grubs can be deadly...kinda looks like a leetch, and can be mistaked for stone flies etc...

Some guys swear by Cleo's, williams, and EGB's for Lakers in particular....slow trolled

(in truth I personally have done better with floating Rapala's, and shap raps...epecially at dusk)

Bring a tarp no matter what.

They may not call for rain before you leave but forecasts change.

I've been in situations were it didn't rain but the constent cool breeze off the water made sitting in camp misserable....a wind break can raise the temp of your camp by a couple degrees, and help control your fire if the wind picks up.

Cheers and good luck,

Thanks a lot for all of the advice, Cookslav. I especially like your Liptons Singles idea. ;)

Really I thought it was the other way around. Or is it wear light colours like tan, whites, and grey. Avoid blacks, reds, yellows?

Anyways enjoy the trip and post pictures. Algonquin is a favorite of mine. I wish I was heading there this year but it didn't work out.

I could be wrong actually and might've gotten them mixed up. Sorry! :blush:

After the first spring trip I took, I've been a complete addict and usually do the week after opener and again in the first week of June (specs are on fire and the park is empty). We've done your route a few times and it is worth the crap portage.

The best investment we've made for canoeing is a dehydrator. We got a cheap one from Target in the states and it has saved so much cost and enables us to bring pretty much anything for food. Spaghetti sauce can be dehydrated into a leather on wax paper and it rehydrates just fine. The possibilities are endless. Boil water and use it to keep yourself clean and do your laundry and you will be 10x more comfortable and happy, and so will your friends. It's amazing how much a hot sponge bath and a dip in the icy lake can bring you back to life.

The small bay from Crow River into Lavielle is where I'd put my time fishing. I've had better fishing there than Dickson, but that varies depending on the time and whatnot. Sutton spoons and the smallest EGB's or the very very small Krocodile are great for lakers. Black is the colour I always go to and it always produces. Specs and lakers in the shallows will be feeding on leeches so don't hesitate to try unorthodox methods like drop-shotting a leech bait or jigging a woolly bugger under a float around beaver lodges and submerged wood.

We'll be in the same area at the same time (heading into Hogan) so if you see an ugly guy with brown hair and a pretty girl with blonde hair in a bergundy Swift Kipawa drop by and say hello! We'll have lots of goose jerky and pepperettes to share. The names are Brandon and Karli. Good luck.