US Navy Dolphins to be trained to fight off Noth Korean coastline.

Syn

"The United States Navy implemented a program in 1960 to work with dolphins and sea lions in order to help with defense, mine detection, and design of new submarines and new underwater weapons. The Navy did many tests with several marine mammals to determine which would be best for the jobs they needed done. "More than 19 species were tested, including some sharks and birds." Eventually, the bottlenose dolphin and California sea lion were shown to be the best at what the Navy needed them for. The bottlenose dolphins' asset was their highly evolved biosonar, helping to find underwater mines, and the sea lions' asset was their impeccable underwater vision, which can help to detect enemy swimmers. In fiscal year 2007, the United States Navy donated $14 million to marine mammal research on weapons and their training programs such as object recovery and mine detection.

o5uat.jpg

Next year the U.S Navy will begin deploying dolphins to patrol the North Korean coastline to monitor and report Korean mine laying and also shoot at North Korean patrol craft. The U.S. Navy Marine Mammal Program will also be training more aggressive dolphins to take more active rolls in ambush type missions off the coast of Somalia to help reduce piracy and ship hijackings. The most skilled dolphins will be trained to lob floating grenades and shoot at small Somali pirate crafts. "

0SX25.jpg

1nn82.jpg

C0ea0.jpg