Setting up bow mount fishfinder

I currently have one fishfinder at the console of my boat but want to set up a second one at the bow.

My question is. Do most guys run a transducer off of the trolling motor or bow or do you run them off the back as well.

Is there a kit I can get to run a bow mount set up or do you have to buy a specific unit for this application (currently have a humminbird for the bow and lowrance for the console)

Just looking for pros and cons of these type of set ups.

Dont know if it matters but it is a bass boat that I am setting up.

Thanks guys

Most newer Lowrance units let you network two or more units together and with a Ethernet cord going from one to the other you can share transducers for each unit...this means if Etherneted the bow could use the transom transducer or the console could use the bow transducer...HOWEVER, you have a Lowrance and a Humminbird so this is not possible... also with the Lowrance Network the two units can share one GPS antenna and when you punch in a waypoint at the bow while fishing up there it will also be entered at the console unit....GREAT FEATURE.

If you have power to the bow of your boat just wire it in to your power point and connect your transducer to the lower unit of your trolling motor with a adjustable clamp. Remember to use an inline fuse. Tie strap the transducer cable to the shaft every six inches and leave enough slack in the cable to allow the troll motor to be put in the stow away position. Because you have two different makes you might have echo interference while running both at the same time. Hope this helps.

This might help....

this is the simple way.... or you may drill a hole at either end of the T/M shaft and use grommets and silicone to do a clean and waterproof job.

RFS

:canadian:

tip008-2.gif

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I like the bow mount transducer on the motor, the water in some lakes here isn`t to clear though. A lot of times the back of the boat can be in 15-20 feet of water and the bow in a couple of feet. I like to know what is going on in front of me, you can miss washouts and other items with just a transducer in back, nice to see the break lines, depth changes as they happen. In shallow water you may not see the fish on the screen, but you may see why they are there.

Thanks guys, I guess I have to purchase another lowrance then.(gonna have to get permission from my wife first though:)

Before you run off and get another Lowrance unit what Lowrance unit do you have now....as I said the NEWER units are network and Ethernet capable..not all Lowrance units.But if you do have one that is network capable and need help setting it up I can help with a great website for that....it's not hard, you just need the proper connections.

Bob

Just looking at the diagram there...wouldn't having the transducer mounted on the bottom effect how the unit reads ?....Just thinking of the motor swiveling around....

No problems with mounting a transducer on the bottom of a trolling motor...I took the TRANSOM transducer with it's bracket bent the bracket just slightly with pliers and then used a large hose clamp to mount this transducer to my trolling motor...here's some pics.

TrollingMotorTransducerBracket006.jpg

I also made a Velcro strap to go around the cover so I can keep it on while trailering.

GPSVelcroCover002.jpg

Some great suggestions here! Jack at Radioworld will have some great specials for attendees of the BassTalk on April 11th plus several seminars from some of the best with electronics. If anyone has seen Paul Shibata's Lowrance set-up you would truly be amazed. Jot down any questions that you might have & Paul will answer them for you. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,

Dave

If you have a sonar at the bow of your boat and the transducer is 16 or 20 feet away at the stern you are not using that unit to its fullest potential...Do you want to know whats under you? Or behind you?

With a Lowrance networked and Ethernet set up you can choose which transducer you want to use...when I'm working the trolling motor most times I use the transducer that's on the TM.....however there are times when we are drifting for walleyes in Erie or Oneida Lake and I don't have the trolling motor in the water but still want to watch the bow unit because I'm sitting up there...so I then can choose to use the transom transducer and BOTH units are then displaying what's going on down there...that way everyone in the boat has a idea on the bottom structure and depth.

Bob

With a Lowrance networked and Ethernet set up you can choose which transducer you want to use...when I'm working the trolling motor most times I use the transducer that's on the TM.....however there are times when we are drifting for walleyes in Erie or Oneida Lake and I don't have the trolling motor in the water but still want to watch the bow unit because I'm sitting up there...so I then can choose to use the transom transducer and BOTH units are then displaying what's going on down there...that way everyone in the boat has a idea on the bottom structure and depth.

Bob

Bob, thats a great set-up! Add a Lowrance VHF radio and be able to broadcast your position in an emergency!