Motor tech question

Weeds

Hi, I've had this 1.2hp Gamefisher for about 5 years now, worked somewhat tempermentally the first two years I had it and then sat unused the last 3 years. Kind of a neat little motor, probably about 15 pounds all fueled up. I tried to start it the other day and it didn't so I figured I should start by draining the gas (old stuff was 3 years old) and maybe think about taking the carb apart a bit and soaking it overnight in carb or fuel injector cleaner. So I took the tank off to drain it and figured I'd remove the fuel sediment bowl too as I could see it had a fair bit of brown crud in it (corrosion I guess). I tried blowing air through it (the fuel shut off valve) not compressed air, to see if the passages could be clogged and could blow air easily through the fuel exit passage and out where the sediment bowl would normally be but not through the fuel in passage at all. Is there supposed to be that much resistance or is it likely there is some kind of obstruction or clog? I removed the valve and am soaking it at the moment and for overnight in STP fuel injector cleaner. Will that melt/wreck the rubber gasket in the valve? Any advice appreciated, thanks, Ross

Edited by Weeds

Hi, I've had this 1.2hp Gamefisher for about 5 years now, worked somewhat tempermentally the first two years I had it and then sat unused the last 3 years. Kind of a neat little motor, probably about 15 pounds all fueled up. I tried to start it the other day and it didn't so I figured I should start by draining the gas (old stuff was 3 years old) and maybe think about taking the carb apart a bit and soaking it overnight in carb or fuel injector cleaner. So I took the tank off to drain it and figured I'd remove the fuel sediment bowl too as I could see it had a fair bit of brown crud in it (corrosion I guess). I tried blowing air through it (the fuel shut off valve) not compressed air, to see if the passages could be clogged and could blow air easily through the fuel exit passage and out where the sediment bowl would normally be but not through the fuel in passage at all. Is there supposed to be that much resistance or is it likely there is some kind of obstruction or clog? I removed the valve and am soaking it at the moment and for overnight in STP fuel injector cleaner. Will that melt/wreck the rubber gasket in the valve? Any advice appreciated, thanks, Ross

It is never a good idea to use old gas, even 6 months old. Your carb, fuel lines, & fuel filter are probably clogged up with the old gas residue - looks like varnish. I suggest u remove the tank, lines & carb. Thoroughly clean everything with a quality carb cleaner. The tank can be cleaned with a bit of gas, swish it around, dump it - do this several times. If u were to disassemble the carb you'll probably find the jets are clogged. www.ripperd.com/ftpl/admins/carb shows in detail how to remove a mikuni carb, clean it, & re assemble. Hope this helps

wormdunker

Seafoam is an excellent choice. The carb is probably varnished up, the best way to clean it would be with an ultrasonic cleaner, call around to small engine shops in your area and see if they have one, take the carb in and have it cleaned properly.

Did you check to see if you have spark when you are pulling it over?