Booking an epic trip

Radnine

Hi all,

I made the mistake of watching Fishing Canada this morning with Will and they were Walleye fishing at a place called Lodge 88. It is one of those places that there are multiple ways of getting to, making getting there half the fun. It brought up a few questions:

Are train/plane/American plan trips hard to organize?

Is there a service that puts these kind of things together?

Are trips like this remotely affordable for the average guy and his kid when it is all added up?

Are they at the end of the day worth it or would I be better spending the $3000 renting cottages locally for the entire season (or two)?

Is the fishing that much better for all of the effort and expense?

Have I just fallen for the bait that Fishing Canada threw in front of me?

Thanks!

Jim

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i can't speak for all lodges, but the walleye fishing near white river is excellent.

there are always deals to be had and i don't know that you need to spend 3000 dollars for you and your boy to have a great trip up north. check out hawk air in wawa as another solid option.

Get north of that 4 hour drive zone from Toronto and all of a sudden walleye fishing picks right up. I'm sure there are good spots south of the Sudbury Northbay line but for me half the fun is driving past "civilization" into the true north. Up there walleye are a dime a dozen if size doesn't really matter. Locals up north will be more then willing to share information. Get the pattern down and you have very predictable fishing. Northerns may not share their best honey holes but will put you on fish. If you have a boat such a trip can be done on the cheap with a cottage rental. Half the enjoyment of such a trip is the wildlife you will encounter.

Now if your looking for "silly" fishing or trophies, that's when you consider a fly-in and then you want to get as far away from civilization as possible. For truly good silly fishing you will pay some coin.

Edited by scuro2

I grew up fishing the kawarthas and now guide on LOTW. the difference in the fisheries is almost not decribable. I have had days where we boat 150+ wallye and some guys report catching 100+ smallies in day. Pike and muskie fishing is also just phenominal. Many of the fly in lakes and portage lakes in the area where i guide are even better. Not to say that some places don't false advertise, but honestly the fishing is usually with out a doubt an experience you will never forget and will keep you coming back time and time again. Crappy wether, biting/swarming bugs and mayfly hatches are the three things that I feel can sour a back country adventure. But if you come prepared it is easy to deal with these things.

Jim, hopefully after his trip to Michigan this weekend, Mike (Solopaddler) will chime in. Every trip I've been on with him has been epic.. Our last pike/walleye flyin out of Hawk Junction was truely one to remember.

Lodge 88 is the real deal. A friend of mine John Yukich who is from the Sault has been guiding at lodge 88/Marmac for 25 years. He has guided on a few episodes of Fishin Canada, Going Eating with Cronzy and the Fish Tv boys the past couple years.

Fishing for walleye, pike and both lakers, specks is amazing....Can't go wrong with going to lodge 88.

I also know of a lodge that I have visited twice which is a train to lodge in Oba Ontario. These guys have guided all over canada and now run a small operation that is pretty much a one on one guided fishing experience on some amazing lakes.(cheaper then fly ins)

Video from the Oba Lodge

Oh and yes the fishing is that much better....

if you want anymore info PM me,

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

I'm sure lodge 88 is a great place to go a get tons of fish, but, if money is an issue, then go to horwood lake near Timmins or Biscotasing between Sudbury and Timmins. You can camp on both lakes and drive to both. If it's good walleye fishing you want, than these 2 lakes will not disappoint you, I'm sure.

Both lakes also have lodges. I've stayed at Horwood lake lodge before. Nice place and very reasonable. There was 6 of us for 3 nights with 3 boat rentals, 3 meals included for just over $2000.00. You don't have to get the meal plan or the boat which would save money too.

Edited by trevy727

We have 6 of us that are looking at going to camp 88 in July of this year. It is $1075 per person for a full week of fishing. We are looking for that once in a lifetime trip so I hope we get our moneys worth. We will likely be booking ours this week. One of the guys saw it on tv and did some follow up at the sportsman show.

We have 6 of us that are looking at going to camp 88 in July of this year. It is $1075 per person for a full week of fishing. We are looking for that once in a lifetime trip so I hope we get our moneys worth. We will likely be booking ours this week. One of the guys saw it on tv and did some follow up at the sportsman show.

How are you getting there? I think taking the train in to the point where you pick up the aircraft would be very cool (but obviously very expensive).

Jim

That's not a bad price at all. Have fun.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

These guys have guided all over canada and now run a small operation that is pretty much a one on one guided fishing experience on some amazing lakes.(cheaper then fly ins)

While he was guiding up north (Kasba Lake I think it was), Gord Pyzer said Aron Yukich was the best guide in Canada. Pretty powerful words if you ask me!

That's not a bad price at all. Have fun.

I am not sure, but that might just be for the camp.

When I threw out the $3000 figure it was from Union Station and back (and honestly a quick estimate)for two. Not far off I bet.

Jim