Carp

hunterjoe84

I live in the Kawarthas and with the new regulations I can now fish for these earlier. I have no experience with carp this early in the season. I usually start fishing for them at the end of May, however with the nice weather and new regs I am itchin to get out. I fish for them pretty hard until fall. Has anyone been out for em yet? Could anyone help me with some early season tips on where to find them? Baits? Depth?

Thanks all

I doubt that there are many people who purposely travel up to the Kawarthas this time of the year to target carp. Lakes up there takes a while to warm up and Carp doesn't feed actively under these water temps. I would think that people would rather fish places like hamilton or Lake O as it warms up much quicker, unless there's a warm water discharge somewhere up there, then you've hit gold :). Or unless they already live up there, like yourself. Maybe you can give it a shot and let us know how the fishing is ;).

Try chumming a spot regularly and fish it, i'm sure they still gotta eat something :D.

Carp have regulations?

They did in the Kawarthas up until they changed the regs last year. No fishing for anything until the panfish opener in April.

I've tried fishing for them in the Kawarthas in early May a number of times without luck...Generally the water needs to heat up a bit till the action gets good. Always worth a shot though if you've got a local spot close to home...I'm pretty interested in seeing how you do up there (geographically speaking from someone who's from Scarborough).

The carp in my local swims generally don't start going until late April/Early may when we've had a warm spring. I look for shallow flats (2-4ft) or marshes adjacent to deeper water or channels (10-15ft is normal). Usually you can find carp cruising or sunning themselves during the day in the flats. When they get warm enough, they start to feed. If they're not in the shallows, they're nearby in the deeper channels or drop-offs.

Corn, bread, worms, boilies, doughballs work...They're coming out of a long winter of not eating...Any food on or close to bottom will be eaten...They're eating machines in spring!

I doubt that there are many people who purposely travel up to the Kawarthas this time of the year to target carp. Lakes up there takes a while to warm up and Carp doesn't feed actively under these water temps. I would think that people would rather fish places like hamilton or Lake O as it warms up much quicker, unless there's a warm water discharge somewhere up there, then you've hit gold :). Or unless they already live up there, like yourself. Maybe you can give it a shot and let us know how the fishing is ;).

Try chumming a spot regularly and fish it, i'm sure they still gotta eat something :D.

Anybody fishing the Kawarthas need to be careful not to fish the fast waters below most dams...they are fish sanctuaries until the 3rd. Saturday of May...check the exceptions for zone 17...

Edited by Beans

I have been considering trying the slack water bays in the upper canal section near Trent U in Peterborough. Close to where I live and I think with some pre-chumming I might be able to convince a carp to come out of winter hibernation. Glad to see someone enjoying the new spring oppourtunity. I have heard of a couple of carp being caught already in Little lake so they will bite. I might target a deeper run early or late in the day but shallow water if it gets hot and sunny.

I will post any results.