Are there any antique lure collectors here?

LucG

Hey,

I recently bought a used tackle box filled with goodies. One of them was this lure. At first glance, I threw it aside and went for the brand new cranks and rapala minnows. But after I had gone through everything, I came back to it and wondered if it had any value.

I initially though it was just a hobbyist that made it because it didn't have any manufacturers markings at all. It hasn't even been used, well I should say it hasn't caught any toothy fish. There is only a few cracks in the paint.

Does anyone here know anything about antique lures? I tried to get some pics that showed the hardware used to make it.

dsc02177.jpg

dsc02179e.jpg

dsc02178ng.jpg

dsc02180k.jpg

With that hardware it's not that old,maybe late 40's or 50's.Looks like a Heddon, not likely worth much,some value if you had the box for it.

Yeah, I know the box is a big thing with old lures. If its from the 40's, 50's or even the 60's, it is in amazing shape for that old of a lure.

It looks a bit like a dying flutter(sp) made by Heddon.

Try here???

http://www.tacklecollecting.com/toc.htm

I think hirk meant the original box the lure would have had, not the tackle box its self.

Yeah, I knew that, i guess I kinda worded my sentence wrong. I meant that I knew that the original box for the lure was an important factor in the value.

Thanks for the site.

Does appear to be a dying flutter or a copy. I don't collect but have a lot of hand me downs from my dad dating back into the 40's, at 60 I remember a lot of them myself. Here is probably a link to one of the most extensive collections online.

http://www.mrlurebox.com/index.html

Another link, although I don't think yours is of local manufacture, is interesting as it shows a lot of locally produced baits.

http://ontariolures.com//index.html

you might be able to track it down from these.

Does appear to be a dying flutter or a copy. I don't collect but have a lot of hand me downs from my dad dating back into the 40's, at 60 I remember a lot of them myself. Here is probably a link to one of the most extensive collections online.

http://www.mrlurebox.com/index.html

Another link, although I don't think yours is of local manufacture, is interesting as it shows a lot of locally produced baits.

http://ontariolures.com//index.html

you might be able to track it down from these.

I just sold 2 southbend and a Heddon in the box's from the late 20's early 30's and researched hardware etc and what you have is like I said newer and like mentioned a dying flutter type bait but likely a Heddon copy if it's not marked as a Heddon.The box's were worth more than the lures btw.

It looks like a Smithwick devils horse, they have been around for a while. I haven`t bought any recently, last one was in the 80`s and they were still made of wood at that time. Rule number one? if you think it may be of some value? don`t attempt any repairs on your own, sell it as is and let a collector handle it.

Having a bad day with surface lures? Sometimes all it take is a little something extra, a prop or two on a lure, Heddon tiny torpedo or smithwicks were my favorite prop lures, a smaller target for one a larger target for the other.

Having a bad day with surface lures? Sometimes all it take is a little something extra, a prop or two on a lure, Heddon tiny torpedo or smithwicks were my favorite prop lures, a smaller target for one a larger target for the other.

I hear ya, I fell in love with my tiny torpedoes last year.

So what kind of value would this have? Somebody offered me $20 for it. I was going to hand it over right away, considering I bought the whole tackle box for $20, but I didnt want to give away something that could have brought more.

So should I jump on the $20...lol

Edited by LucG

So what kind of value would this have? Somebody offered me $20 for it. I was going to hand it over right away, considering I bought the whole tackle box for $20, but I didnt want to give away something that could have brought more.

So should I jump on the $20...lol

You could throw it up on ebay and see what happens, worked for me once as I listed a couple crappy destroyed lures I bought in a tackle box at an auction. Got $275 bucks for the 2 lures. I contacted the guy and apparently one was from a lure company based out of from Brandon Manitoba in the 50's. I had no clue. Mind you, other lures I didn't recognize got $2 bucks.

Edited by Harrison

Lures weren`t reel my deal, I was more into reels when I was collecting, and I did some buying and selling on ebay. As I recall you can search for a specific lure and see what comes up in the line of pricing and bids. You usually have to get something pretty unique to get a high dollar for it, a very limited item, or very rare color. Some lures are much more sought after than others of the same time period.

I would buy some at garage sales and flea markets, but only items that I knew were under priced. Ebay had a section antique and collectible lures and tackle? And there are various collector sites that may give you an idea of it`s value. Private collectors will try to low ball you to get a deal, ebay is the way to go in my opinion.