last walleye trip for me

tjsa

Off to a local lake up here, fishing has been a bit tough this year for some reason. But, a sign from the heavens............today is going to be a good day.

IMG_1962.jpg

Walked out, as ice deterioration for driving out since last weekend has been an issue up here. One truck is in 30-40 ft. of water somewhere.

He was trying to get near another truck partially through when his went through. All anglers are OK though. Ice thickness was probably 18-20",(probably about 6 inches more last weekend) but it was hard on top, and half way through, it got soft. When we moved to another location, it was hard all the way through, depends where you went I guess.

We got on fish right away, but missed a bunch of them. I had a fish following, but, it must have been a male, failure to commit. Reeled up the jig and minnow and dropped down the plastic minnow imitation. It got within 6 ft. of bottom, and the fish rose and smoked it. Not a big fish, about 14", but my first keeper.

IMG_1964.jpg

We had fish occasionally for the next 2 hrs. Caught some under slot fish, and my one bud got a really nice perch which I did not get a close up of. He landed one keeper, but it had lymphocycorsis(sp),so he let it go. I had to visit the shore to commune with nature, and while I was gone, he landed a 5 lb.walleye, also with lymphcycorsis. He did not take a pic of it.

We had more fish on the flashers, but no hook-ups, so we moved around to the other side of the island. First hole my bud fishes, he misses 3 in a row.

I try 2 holes around him, and nothing. Go to a 3rd hole, and that's where I spent almost the rest of the day. Fish constantly on the flasher. Not always hitting, but enough hits and activity to keep me occupied. Finished my limit in this hole, all around 14", bud with other flasher managed to complete his limit also, and bud without flasher finished his limit around 4pm.

Some pics of the day, it was windy a bit, which was annoying, but not unbearable, it even snowed lightly on us in the early morning.

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

One of the fish I released.

IMG_1967.jpg

Our success,12 walleye and one nice perch.

IMG_1968.jpg

On the way back.

IMG_1973.jpg

In one spot, open water on a rocky point.

IMG_1972.jpg

No increase of inches for Team 6 today, but one heckuva nice day out. I think we landed about 30 fish today, just lots of under slot fish(13" minimum on this lake.)Hope we can get one last laker trip in next weekend, if the temps allow it and the ice thickness holds.

Edited by tjsa