Question For an Electrician

Tinman

are these lights all on the same circuit?.. is there a possibility of a drywall screw threw the line itself causing the voltage change?

I have seen more then one drywall screw through electrical wire causing mayhem

G.

are these lights all on the same circuit?.. is there a possibility of a drywall screw threw the line itself causing the voltage change?

I have seen more then one drywall screw through electrical wire causing mayhem

G.

That would show up when he does a continuity or a voltage test from (ground - hot) or (white - hot).

You Gotta Love The Wanna Be's Electrician Answers.

Just Call An Electrician.

Or stop doing your own electrical work.(just kidding) :P

Anyways just read ur post and I think there is a lot of missing information for example.

whats the house like

area

wiring

copper

alunion

knob and tube

etc etc etc

if you want free help then you gotta be more detailed

Cheers,

Todd

You Gotta Love The Wanna Be's Electrician Answers.

Just Call An Electrician.

Or stop doing your own electrical work.(just kidding) :P

Anyways just read ur post and I think there is a lot of missing information for example.

whats the house like

area

wiring

copper

alunion

knob and tube

etc etc etc

if you want free help then you gotta be more detailed

Cheers,

Todd

Pretty sure if you read back i put all that, you'll find that my house is older, in an established neighbor hood, with a breaker panel, and copper wiring. And i am not looking for "free" help. Just a starting point on whether its something I can do myself or whether i do have to contact someone. This is a forum where you can detail a problem you may have, no matter what the issue may be, such as fishing, homestuff or personal issues. Also the fact that there are guys that are licensed in some trade or another, that depending on the problem can help you out or even come over and do it for you. I myself am a licensed HVAC contractor and have offered my help to some others over time. Hopefully this didn't sound rude or angry. Typing doesn't tell ya what expression you are feeling at the time lol

Not sure who you're referring to as wanna be's Todd... but there's a least three responders there with a license and an Electro/Mech PEng in there to boot as well...

Who do you think im talkin about?

Edited by ReTodd

Pretty sure if you read back i put all that, you'll find that my house is older, in an established neighbor hood, with a breaker panel, and copper wiring. And i am not looking for "free" help. Just a starting point on whether its something I can do myself or whether i do have to contact someone. This is a forum where you can detail a problem you may have, no matter what the issue may be, such as fishing, homestuff or personal issues. Also the fact that there are guys that are licensed in some trade or another, that depending on the problem can help you out or even come over and do it for you. I myself am a licensed HVAC contractor and have offered my help to some others over time. Hopefully this didn't sound rude or angry. Typing doesn't tell ya what expression you are feeling at the time lol

You forgot to mention the light fixtures.

Style(flush, recessed)

Type ( pots, low voltage, etc)

What kind of switch mechanism are they on

Etc.

ReT0dd

Incandescent lamp failure is usually a result of overvoltage, bad connection (causing arcing & excess heat) or age of lamp.

Check the voltage with a proper voltmeter, hot wire to ground, and if it is at or above 120V then 130V lamps may cure the problem.

If voltage is below 120V then remove the lampholder and check the terminations. If the terminations are loose tighten them and check the conductor insulation for signs of drying out due to the excess heat.

Could also be a bad batch of lamps.

Another cure, as mentioned above, is to replace all of your lamps with compact fluorescent lamps. They are available in different wattages, will handle a wider range of voltages and will also lower your energy costs.

Most of the advice you have received has merit, however after 40 years in the trade (licensed in 1975, master license in 1980, registered contractor with ECRA/ESA) I know that your problem is not unique. It may not hurt to contact a local electrical contractor as you may not be the only person in your neighborhood with this issue.

Best of luck.

You are too far away or I would consider trading services.

Incandescent lamp failure is usually a result of overvoltage, bad connection (causing arcing & excess heat) or age of lamp.

Check the voltage with a proper voltmeter, hot wire to ground, and if it is at or above 120V then 130V lamps may cure the problem.

If voltage is below 120V then remove the lampholder and check the terminations. If the terminations are loose tighten them and check the conductor insulation for signs of drying out due to the excess heat.

Could also be a bad batch of lamps.

Another cure, as mentioned above, is to replace all of your lamps with compact fluorescent lamps. They are available in different wattages, will handle a wider range of voltages and will also lower your energy costs.

Most of the advice you have received has merit, however after 40 years in the trade (licensed in 1975, master license in 1980, registered contractor with ECRA/ESA) I know that your problem is not unique. It may not hurt to contact a local electrical contractor as you may not be the only person in your neighborhood with this issue.

Best of luck.

You are too far away or I would consider trading services.

I appreciate that, i am having an electrician i met on site this week come out and take a look, then i have to look at possibley replacing his a/c.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll let you know what he said

Probably a loose connection at the pole. I saw this just recently at a neighbours up the street. We did a meter test on a few receptacles and the reading were bouncing all over the place. He called hydro and they came the next day and it was a loose connection at the pole.