Fin Clipping Volunteers

John Bacon

Volunteers are needed for fin clipping at Ringwood hatchery next week; especially if you can come in during the day.

Metro East Anglers will be clipping adipose fins for all Chinook to be stocked in pens. The pen locations are: Wellington, Whitby Harbour, Oshawa, Dalhousie, Bluffers Park and Darlington.

Pen rearing the fish for six weeks prior to release is been shown to improve the fishes' survival and improve returns. If we are not able to clip enough fish; then we may not have fish for all pen locations.

If you would like an opportunity to improve the Chinook fisher, especially if you fish any of those locations; try to drop by Ringwood next week and help out.

PM me or drop by the Ringwood site if you need more information.

http://ringwoodfcs.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Do you have the locations for the pen sites? I really want to volunteer.

I don't have exact addresses: here are the general locations: The pen locations are: Wellington, Whitby Harbour, Oshawa, Dalhousie, Bluffers Park and Darlington.

Let know if there is any one location in particular that you are interested in and I will find out more.

all the Net pen projects for Lake Ontario's salmon ( and hopfully trout too perhaps down the road) are a good thing and could use all the support they can get

for those who are interested in more there are a few sites they check out for more info to find a location near them to get involved

www.metroeastanglers.com

www.ringwoodhatchery.ca

www.spoonpullers.com

and for all those who can attend there will be a tournament out of port dalhousie this May in support of that site's pen project - everyone welcome

http://straitlineanglers.com/Feed_The_Fry/..._tournament.htm

hope the mods dont mind me posting these links, its all non-profit & for the benefit of the fishery ;)

Edited by fishdawg

Thanks to all those who have offered to help out. We have a booth at the Sportsman Show if you want to drop by. We are also hoping to increase the pen sites in the future. Contact us if you would like to start new pen location or help out with an existing one.