Red Lake weather

danc

I've been staying and working in Red Lake the past two weeks and I can honestly say that I've never seen March weather in the north like this in all my days. I'm not sure what the official highs have been the past two days but to describe it as "tee shirt weather" is an understatement. Yesterday we had a lunch time bar b que at the job site and it was almost too hot when standing in the sun in a tee shirt. I had to duck into the shade occasionally. The snow is gone. Small ponds and lake shores are opening up. When I arrived here two weeks ago we would drive 5 miles or so across Red Lake to get to the job site and back. Not anymore. The ice shacks that littered the lake a week ago are only a memory now. I'm not sure if it was last spring or the spring before that, but a member here was concerned about the lakes being ice free here by May long weekend. That's over two months away from now. This year the question is will they be open by the end of March. Anyways, I'm enjoying every minute of it. Surely it will change back to normal highs at some point in time, but I'll take it for now.

Dan I was one of them two years ago that was concerned about ice out in the Red Lake area the day before walleye opener

We were held up in town for four hours before flying out to a still half frozen Little Vermillion, ice wasn't completely off the lake until the following Tuesday. It was my first experience that far north at ice out and it was awesome, we weren't in tshirts thought :lol:

grt1... check your message box.

Phil. That was you?? You'd never know it was the same place if you were here right now. Any chance you might be heading up this way this year? I could be here for a very long time.

Yup, an 'el nino year again. A bud of mine pointed out to me when this happens, we typically get less snowfall. But, this year is ridiculous.

I am enjoying it though, just does not bode well for fish that spawn in the spring unless we get rain, and lots of it.

A few years ago, guys were out fishing on open water before the walleye season closed mid April for a month and a bit. Probably going to be the same thing this year unless the temps dip.

grt1... check your message box.

Phil. That was you?? You'd never know it was the same place if you were here right now. Any chance you might be heading up this way this year? I could be here for a very long time.

Hi Dan. doesn't look good for me this spring

TG that was a motley crew in the back seat B)

No kiddin

last year spring was so late---it was around the 20th of April before we were able to get on the ice out lakers---this is the 15th of March and I'm thinkin I soon gotta get the oil change done on my outboard and batteries charged.

May be time to wind our watches soon boys