Auctions

Fisherman

I went to the North Toronto auction this morning with my oldest son, he's the wise one when it comes to knowing pretty much everything about snowmobiles and reasonable prices. A quick check of the dozen or so older police skidoos, mostly 2002's, he pegged the reasonable price at between $1200-$1600, after the first few went, now we know why there are auctions, there are far too many fools, some of these were around $3000, some over 11,000km. We also ran into Terry and a couple of other fellows, they were just shaking their heads in disbelief too. I'm sure some of the suckers that bought the ATV's will probably get a frying pan upside the head when their wives find out. And to boot, it was colder than the inside of a witches bra.

ya I have been to the breslu auto auction..what a good time to be had watching these guys pay wayyyy more than what the cars and trucks are worth..However I was once there and there was a snowmobile on a trailer in mint shape and they couldnt get a bid @ $500 for it..Its all about timing i guess

Parts Guys are going to cut them up and part them out..

More money to be made this way on older equipment.

thats the reason i quit going to auctions to many dealers weather its a sled or furniture there are very few good deals at a auction yu are better off trolling kijiji and hope to get lucky

Parts Guys are going to cut them up and part them out..

More money to be made this way on older equipment.

I can see dealers and jobbers parting them out, but these guys didn't have enough smarts and wouldn't know what to do with toast and peanutbutter, never mind a wrench and screwdriver.

Fisherman,

Were there any deals to be had there or are these auctions a complete waste of time? I've never been to one, but was curious....

Az

There were about a dozen 2002/03 skidoos, exOPP units, most were in pretty good shape, minor cosmetic stuff, one had no coils(probably another $400+ for them) and one other one looked a bit questionable. If the prices had been like one of the last auctions(around $1200-1800) for those skidoos, then it's a good deal. Most of these ones started at $1600 and then went up crazy. One went for over $3K, nuts. One ArcTic Cat ATV went for around $2K. the motor was in pieces, There were two 14' Lowe boats, one had been welded at the curve at the front of the keel, real hack job and the other looked like someone rolled it down Mt Everest, even Irishfield couldn't make that one straight :lol: If the prices had been right, I would have bought unfortunately not his time. you can check it on line here: http://northtorontoauction.com/main.cfm?p=...&ShowICAN=1

Most of these auctions its "johnny on the spot" you are lucky to get a sweet deal.Rule of thumb is never bid more than 50% of what you think its worth beacause when you add taxes ...wheres the deal? Best time to hit them is if the weather is going to suck. Down in niagara most auctioneers hate me cause I come prepared with prices when I'm looking for something ...oh and I also always announce that on top of pst $ gst there is a "buyers premium" usually about another 10% or so, so keep that in mind. So far Iv'e only been asked to leave 1 auction..lol

Thanks Fisherman,

I always wondered about auctions like that, if people really do get good deals. I always see boats and sleds parked at the 400 flea market and I think they have auctions there....btw....do NOT use the bank machines at the 400 market ;);)<_< Alot of Skimmers found there...

Thanks Fisherman,

I always wondered about auctions like that, if people really do get good deals. I always see boats and sleds parked at the 400 flea market and I think they have auctions there....btw....do NOT use the bank machines at the 400 market ;);)<_< Alot of Skimmers found there...

Thanks, I'll pass that onto a couple of the old guys at work that like to spend their sundays there.