Walleye combo line question

muskymatt

I just picked up a Gloomis walleye series trolling rod and put a Shimano Tekota 300lc on it............my question is.

I bought some seagar 10 lb test 100% fluoro line for it. I made this decision based on that in the last several years I have used pretty much exclusively braid and decided to try this product.

Does anyone have any feedback on Seagar?

I've heard a lot of bad things about fluoro being used as a main line , are they true?

Is 10lb fluoro too light?

The rod is 7'10" extra light fast action

Thanks

I tried fluoro once and for the first outing was OK.... second time out and I could not tie a knot that the line would brake <_< ended up setting the rod aside and took out the one with mono for the remainder of the trip.

That's about all I can tell you about fluoro line.

Good luck with it

Leechman

There is talk over on Walleye Central about mono vs. flouro on trolling and rigging rods. Alot of guys are switching back to to flouro and mono from braid because the braid isn't letting the eye's suck the bait into their mouth enough resulting in alot of half bit worms and minnows...which we all know isn't fun.

Personally I haven't had a problem pulling rigs with braided line, but that probably was in part to the flimsier SCII graphite of my Croix Mojo Bass. Now that I have a Legend Tournament Walleye with SCIV, I might be switching back to a stretchier line...not something im happy about!

With my experiences on the Bay of Quinte...Flouro is a MUST!

Don't use it as the main line, but ALWAYS have a Flouro leader tied on.

You catch more fish.

We also use Segar, but again, only for leaders.

Just wondering whether you would mind sharing the rod model number - I didn't see any GLommis walleye series rod at 7 feet 10 inches. What fishing method is this rod and reel combination intended to satisfy?

It's a WTR940C Length: 7'10 Power: 0 Pieces: 1 Casting , Trolling Rod extra fast action

I just finished reading another write up on it and it says it was designed and intended to be used with the no stretch lines :lol::glare: oh well....I'll give the fluoro a try and if it isn't preforming then it'll make a good backing for power pro, which is on all my other outfits!

This is the seagar I used

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...;rid=0123456789

Except I have 10lb test

With my experiences on the Bay of Quinte...Flouro is a MUST!

Don't use it as the main line, but ALWAYS have a Flouro leader tied on.

You catch more fish.

We also use Segar, but again, only for leaders.

How many more?

With the experiences with people fishing with me that weren't using it, but the same setup and techniques otherwise, I was easily getting 3 fish to their 1.

Do you feel that if you handed them your rig and you took theirs that it would be the same thing...they would outfish you 3 to 1?

Personally, I have used many combinations of lines for many fishing situations. The one I haven't used and don't plan on is....... all 100% flouro.

All lines have pros and cons, our task is to find the right line, or line combination, to suit the conditions.

100% Flouro behaves poorly as a main line and its biggest benefit, which is less visibility for a given diameter, is not needed for all the line on the spool.

Flouro has a lot of memory and is very springy and while it may stretch more than braid, it won't stretch as much as mono.

Good luck with what ever you decide, and please let us know how it goes. :Gonefishing: