Leaders for Pike

Oeey3109

What type of leaders do you all prefer for pike? Fluorocarbon or wire leaders? I have always used wire leaders in the past, but I've heard great things about some of the new fluoro leaders being developed. Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Flurocarbon leader material 50lb min, is what I like, performs every bit as good as wire and is invisible for the most part. The important thing is to buy true leader material and not Fluro main line the leader material is stiffer and more abrasion resistant.

Flurocarbon leader material 50lb min, is what I like, performs every bit as good as wire and is invisible for the most part. The important thing is to buy true leader material and not Fluro main line the leader material is stiffer and more abrasion resistant.

Yes and the fluoro doesn't kink up like wire does. Also, if the fish starts to roll, the fluoro is a lot less likely to harm the fish. As for visibility, I don't think that that's a major issue with esox. They're also very easy to make in any weight/length you need. Get the Seaguar...it's good stuff. Make sure the snaps/swivels match the test strength of the leader material.

Wire kept kinking on me usually after a pike or two and I could not straighten it out. Tried the titanium wire for a bit but it is so expensive and even that snapped on me! Tried flouro 80-100 leader eg Yo Zuri HD pink for swimbaits and all is well. Stiffer 150lb flouro works better with jerkbaits and walk the dog type lures. Pike, especially the snot rockets can cut heavy braid 50lb+ easily I was surprised to learn firsthand.

I'm just making my own leaders now because its cheaper and I can make my own lengths. If theres any nicks in the line, I just cut and add a ferule. You can use a coil (metal or plastic) on the loop to drastically reduce wear at the lure end, but it did seem to impede the lure action imo.

Edited by Syn

So with the fluoro leader....you just tie a double uni to your main line and then just tie it to a snap swivel on the tage end? Regular fishermans knot for the snap swivel??

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

i do a perfection loop on the snap end.. a cinch knot would work too.

snapend.jpg

uni-to-uni

uni2uni.jpg

don't do this for inline spinners/spoons, you will need a swivel for those due to line twist.

Edited by Raf

I prefer a double ferule because its less likely to srew up the crimping and I melt the flouro end until it bulbs before crimping just for added pull trough prevention.

Edited by Syn