Carp Fish-in

hammercarp

Hey, just wanted to inform that the last Saturday in March is the 27th!

Also, what kind of tackle/baits is required to hook one of these big boys? I don't own any specific carp tackle but can probably make my own boilies (do people still use these?) and a 7'M spinning rod, is this somewhat appropriate? I figure if I hook into a real behemoth, I may have some trouble/fun landing it! :lol:

Also, what kind of tackle/baits is required to hook one of these big boys? I don't own any specific carp tackle but can probably make my own boilies (do people still use these?) and a 7'M spinning rod, is this somewhat appropriate? I figure if I hook into a real behemoth, I may have some trouble/fun landing it! :lol:

Any tackle will do…Literally. Over the years I’ve targeted carp using: 7’ Medium action spinning rods, 8’6” & 10’6” salmon/steelhead baitcasting outfits, 10-11ft salmon/steelhead rods, 10’6”-12ft noodle rods, 13’6” steelhead float rods, 11-13ft European match type float rods, 11-12’6” carp rods and 9ft 8wt fly rods. The only rods I haven’t tried are musky outfits.

A few things are constant when it comes to gear: You gotta have a smooth drag on your reel and you gotta play the angles right with the rod. Currently writing an article on carp fishing for TJ which will go deeper into tackle selection…Just waiting till spring so I can take a few more pics for the article (hopefully I can convince my friend to loan me his waterproof digi-cam for some cool underwater shots).

As for bait, a can of corn and a few slices of white bread go a long way in winter. In the UK, maggots are also a staple bait for their winter carp fishing. Water temperature plays a huge role in how active they are. Chumming heavily in cold water can be the kiss of death in winter.

Perhaps thats a bit early for spring carp.. no?

I've always had better success a little further into the season.. once you see some greenery growing on the ground.

The warm water always get them moving.

Hamilton harbour offers a year round fishery for carp. Some places stay warm enough not to ice over and from what I gather, there are some spots where warm water discharges into the bay. Find an area which discharges warm water (like the outflow from a nuclear, coal powered plant or an industrial manufacturing plant) and you can have an insanely good day of fishing in -30 degree C temps.

Thanks I meant Sun. Mar.28 :oops:

Perhaps thats a bit early for spring carp.. no?

I've always had better success a little further into the season.. once you see some greenery growing on the ground.

The warm water always get them moving.

Here's the thing about that swim (spot). The water flowing through there is from Cootes Paradise marsh. It is very shallow and once the ice goes it can warm up fast. It will the supply warmer water to the harbour which attracts fish. We caught carp there last year at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd bump this up. Lots of water flushing out the system now. With the coming warm weather Cootes will warm quickly and that warm water will flow into the harbour. This will bring the carp to the mouth of the canal. Should be a good turn out and a great way to meet other carp anglers, discuss carp tactics and have some fun.

As an added bonus for this spot the gobies aren't up yet, and there's a few other species around, if the carp bite is slow there's a good shot at decent early season channel cats and the odd trout.

Thats what I am thinking..... bows may be in that area. What is the current / depth / water clarity generally like at this spot? Maybe worth drifting some roe or chucking some hardware for rainbows....

Burt :)

Thats what I am thinking..... bows may be in that area. What is the current / depth / water clarity generally like at this spot? Maybe worth drifting some roe or chucking some hardware for rainbows....

Burt :)

The bows will be in the vicinity.Im sure it will be murky.

Hi All,

I am new to the Carp fishing, I would like to meet some Carp fishing expert and learn from them if that's okay. I am trying to find the location of the high level bridge through Google map but I am not really having any success. I really appreciate if someone can give me the direction from Mississauga to the high level bridge. I am able to find the The Desjardins Canal but I am not sure were is the bridge.

Hi all,

I have managed to find the bridge.

If you are not sure of the location, let me know. I can send you a modified map where the fish in is and of the parking lot.

Edited by Marko