SALMON DERBY

BITEME

Seems like some people have nothing better to do but complain. Anyone tried actually going fishing? :lol:

As much as you lol, there's a difference between complaining and asking for a possible change that may benefit both the GOSD and the amount of entrants that would buy tickets and fish. Your response adds absolutely no value. GO Fish.

Most people who fish the derby from year to year are already Lake Ontario salmon trollers and the MAJORITY are already set-up with the right equipment - like myself, who would just end up selling the boat anyways. The way I see it, if I decided to enter (which I haven't for the past 3 years due to no boat ticket unless you're a charter) the car would be of greater value to me than the boat and I would seriously consider keeping it whereas the boat would be up in the classifieds the very next day. On the other hand if i decided to sell the car, everyone uses and needs a car therefore it'll be much easier to sell.

Cheers,

G.

The entry fee to prize ratio for the Salmon Derby is better than anything out there today in this province, heck, maybe even all of Canada.

Complaining about whether the grand prize is a car or a boat is kind of silly. These are generous sponsors stepping up to the plate we're talking about, to keep this derby alive and we should be thanking and supporting them for doing so in difficult economic times. Another thing to consider is that the market for car buyers is exponentially larger than that of the boat market, meaning a car is an easier prize to liquidate than a boat.

Over half of the boat winners in 2009 sold the boats that they won...so the perception that a boat is a better prize is simply not true.

Further to that, the derby generously supports net pen projects from around the lake which are run by volunteers for the betterment of the fishery. Not all derbies do this, in fact, most don't.

I don't see any reason to complain about this derby as it stands today. Having said that, I do believe that there is room for improvement (e.g. remove exclusive weigh-in rights from the derby, by allowing a big fish to be entered into other derbies that are running at the same time), but we're not the ones calling the shots.

Tony

gotta agree with Gman's & Tony's points

we should be thankful that Walter & the Sun brought it back after it went under in the mid -90s when it was then known as the "Toronto Star Salmon Hunt"

but it could be tweaked a little further such as allowing entrants to enter the same fish in multiple events

it also would be nice if there was a weigh station in the Niagara/Port Dalhousie area...

I don't know if anyone has contacted them for this years prize packages, however the idea of weekly tickets has been mentioned numerous times with absolutely no interest from them. I wouldnt say I complained, just a reasonable suggestion that I'm sure would give some others the opportunity to enter the event, albeit they may/would have to settle for less of a prize package. Just an idea.

Fisherman I wasn't refering to anyone specific when I said complainers I just meant that every tourny in Ontario has people picking it apart the organizers have to draw aline somewhere and just run there tourny and hope people will attend.

Fisherman I wasn't refering to anyone specific when I said complainers I just meant that every tourny in Ontario has people picking it apart the organizers have to draw aline somewhere and just run there tourny and hope people will attend.

Understood, ya,I guess someone has to draw the line somewhere.

I don't see any reason to complain about this derby as it stands today. Having said that, I do believe that there is room for improvement (e.g. remove exclusive weigh-in rights from the derby, by allowing a big fish to be entered into other derbies that are running at the same time), but we're not the ones calling the shots.

Tony

I totally disagree with this .....one fish ....one major prize...go catch another and enter it in the other derby...sorry Tony but this sounds like a greed comment to me ...sure prizes can compound within a certain derby given the right circumstances ...but to have the same fish win two different derbies is just silly in my mind....say someone weighs in a huge fish on day one in a derby....alot of people will see it as an unobtainable weight to beat...dropping ticket sales ...for both derbies...

When I started working for the company I am at I was a keener and wanted to be involved in everything...the rec club...health & safety committees.. I could go on and on.

I quickly realized I wasn't cut out for it. Too many people who didn't do a darn thing to help out whizzed and moaned about the decisions our groups where trying to make to benefit all.

It takes a special breed of individual to run these kinds of things. They might not always do what some think is the right thing, but at least they are DOING. Because of my personal experiences I have nothing but respect for those DOING..not so much for those WHIZZING & MOANING.

I totally disagree with this .....one fish ....one major prize...go catch another and enter it in the other derby...sorry Tony but this sounds like a greed comment to me ...sure prizes can compound within a certain derby given the right circumstances ...but to have the same fish win two different derbies is just silly in my mind....say someone weighs in a huge fish on day one in a derby....alot of people will see it as an unobtainable weight to beat...dropping ticket sales ...for both derbies...

Twocoda there are other derbies out there that allow a single fish to weighed in multiple derbies/tournies

example, many fellas fish 1 or two day "team format" salmon tournys on weekends during the salmon derby.... they then need to decide if that possible 28lb+ salmon will go in there tourny box of if they will only enter it in the derby as it could be a contender....

most 1 or 2 day tournys dont mind if the "boxed" fish are weighed in or entered in other derbies....

and crappieperchhunter, ive been on both sides, as ive been involved in starting up/running some events as well, sometimes it pays to have an open mind as an organizer & be willing to adapt with the changing times....

Edited by fishdawg

and crappieperchhunter, ive been on both sides, as ive been involved in starting up/running some events as well, sometimes it pays to have an open mind as an organizer & be willing to adapt with the changing times....

I agree 100%. Inflexibility never works for anyone. I no nothing of the circumstances for this particular derby so I can't begin to comment on that for this case. Everyone should just be happy it's still a go.