Laptop/Smartphone tip of the year-NF but site related

bigfish1965

Smartphones and laptops are pretty big theft items and people lose their phones all the time. I found a Add-On for Firefox that, if your computer is turned on away from home, emails you right away with the location of your computer!

Things you need are all included in this link http://www.firefound.com/

You may need to make a web based email account if you only have ISP email (you will need to be able to access your email from a different location)

You can set this add on to erase all private data should your computer turn on in a place it shouldn't and can lock down folders.

I tested it today and it told me the street I turned the computer on and the name of the nearest routers as well as the approximate long/latt of my computer.

With this info you can go out with another laptop and locate within a very small distance where your laptop is.

Now...got to figure out a way to put this technology into a boat!!

Rick check out Laptop Cop from Awareness technologies ... we sell this stuff and it is amazing... same idea but on steriods ... and can get to within feet of where your laptop is (without GPS).

I will look, bud. I tested the Firefound from two loactions and it was pretty good..not perfect but pretty good.

Can you guys figure a way to build this into a device hidden in a boat for a decent price? You would do well with that!

I will look, bud. I tested the Firefound from two loactions and it was pretty good..not perfect but pretty good.

Can you guys figure a way to build this into a device hidden in a boat for a decent price? You would do well with that!

What about a gps tracking unit. That thing is very small and easily hidden on a boat.

would this work?

Edited by Syn

good idea but it definitely has some limitations. It would only work if you have no passworded accounts so anybody could get in and use it right away (a computer not used on a windows directory/domain etc?).

I know the first thing i do when i buy a used computer is install the operating system. I don't even care what's on the drive.

I remember seeing another similar program that wrote itself to the mbr of the harddrive so as long as windows was installed or reinstalled, it would still be there. the only way to get rid of it would be to rewrite the drive partitions which isn't too common, or rewrite the mbr which is even more rare.

I thought of that last night, too. I put in a guest account with very limited priviledges and no password. This would let the thief turn on and connect to the internet. ;)

The admin account stays locked. Using 'GodMode' for my admin account made this easier. Wish I knew about the GodMode hack long ago!