Crown seeks 8 to 10 years in 'nipper tipping' case

Spiel

Crown seeks 8 to 10 years in 'nipper tipping' case

February 05, 2010

Joe Fantauzzi / yorkregion.com

The tears flowed unashamedly from Colin Berwick's face as he sat in a Newmarket court today.

Mr. Berwick wept as his wife Terry delivered an emotionally-charged victim-impact statement in the so-called "nipper-tipping" case.

"This incident has completely changed my life forever," Ms Berwick told the court.

Her stepson Shayne was badly injured in a crash.

Trevor Middleton, a 23-year-old Georgina man, was convicted in December on all six charges of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and aggravated assault, following a three-week trial.

Crown prosecutor Amit Ghosh is calling for an eight to 10-year sentence for Mr. Middleton.

Mr. Middleton's lawyer, Gerald Logan hasn't had the opportunity to present his sentencing submission in a hearing that began this morning.

The court also heard from 24 year old Toronto resident Ruohang Liu. He was pushed into the water while fishing from a dock and was later injured in a collision.

"I no longer feel safe in public," Mr. Liu said.

"I have nightmares no one could possibly understand."

Mr. Middleton and a group of his friends, riding in several pickup trucks, drove to a known fishing hole near the blue bridge at Mossington Park in Georgina on Sept. 16, 2007 at about 2 a.m.

When the group was at the docks, Mr. Liu and his friend Charles Hogan were pushed into the water.

A confrontation followed and Mr. Middleton then chased after a Honda Civic, the trial heard.

Mr. Middleton repeatedly rammed the Civic until its driver lost control and slammed into a tree, ejecting Mr. Hogan and Mr. Berwick from the back seats.

Mr. Hogan suffered whiplash and hypothermia, along with neck, spine and head injuries.

Mr. Berwick crashed into a tree, suffered a fractured skull that caused him to lapse into a coma for three months, along with several other injuries.

The sentencing hearing continues.

the guy should get that much time

anyone who thinks they can assault people needs to be put away

but

it is my understanding that half the people that were assualted and pushed into the water were white not asian

and the guy that had the brain injury was not asian, so calling it nipper tipping (a racial hate crime) is a lie and media hype

they love to spin a story, but it's all based on a lie

once again the moron needs to be in jail for his acts of violence , but they should tell the whole story and stick to the truth

now I hope my facts are correct...LOL

• 1 month later...

I know one thing. In a few years that young man will walk free. The young man with the brain damage and the parents that will look after him got life sentences.

This should be a good call for an eye for an eye just I think. Smack this dummy head first into a tree, and if he survives then let him serve a full ten years in jail with no parole chance ever. Hearing that this happened disgusts me and knowing that he will get to carry on his life to the fullest is what i find more sickening. He ruined two peoples lives and caused untold amounts of tramua to their families and the justice that our system can provide is not adequate punish him deservingly.

Edited by josh

I hope he gets a fair sentence. I understand how things get out of hand at the riverside. A fist fight is one thing, but to be filled with so much hate and anger that he rammed the car off the road shows how dangerous this idiot is.

The sentence is fair especially when you factor in the various "discounts" he'll get on the time. Will he serve two thirds of that sentence? I hope they give him the opportunity to deal with his "issues" in the joint. He needs some serious help.

Dan O.

You be surprised what you can learn from the "joint" as you call it.

Sometimes, time spent behind the walls,wakes a person up and see,s the world in a different way.It,s not all about ME.

Ya stupid actions, young and stupid. like I said,makes one think, reflect and become a better person.

I was once young and stupid like many,but after time, we realise,the ways of our thinking and actions, are not right.I still shake my head at the action of others,but always remember,I was one once.Sometimes it takes time.

Therefore,becoming a better person.