Holy Crap - Leafs are a dealin

Jds63

Burke had to do something after last nights epic fail to the hands of the Canucks or else the papers and tv sports guys would be talking about that game all week. Now they will be talking about the trades and that game will be forgotten.

Yup. I'm sure Burke just got on the phone after last night's game and told his counterparts with the Ducks and the Flames that he'd decided they were gonna do this trade.

JF

... I am am OLD leafs fan ... one of those dinosaurs who actually saw them win their last Stanly cup and still think of them as the top team in the league (over the very long haul) ... but I gotta admit ... its getting harder to make apologies for them ... I hate to see Stajan, Blake and Hagman go ... but then I hated to see Sundin and Roberts go ... I am not sure Toskala can be be held accountable .. and I agree .. White was a serious candidate for MVP ... so anyway .. here we go again ... I am breaking out the gravol right now because the whole thing is making me sick

dunno what uve been watchin, but white has been their best player the past 2 years. and he could easily be a top 2 D man on any team in the league. hes as tough as they come, plays hard, hes excellant in his own end and smart in the offensive end. has a bullet shot, makes great passes and can skate very well.

no doubt he's played well and competes game in, game out, tough to see him go -- i wont argue that but, is he a number 1 or 2 defenceman? personally, i dont think so. i also dont think he's a guy to build a defense around whereas I think phaneuf can/will be. he's only 24!! i guess we will see! the leafs have enough 3,4,5,6 guys.

Edited by Raf

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

white was incredibly consistent. it's a big loss on the offensive end as well. that was 50 goals they got rid of from the offensive end!

burkie must have another move up his sleeve...

still hearing kaberle for sharp straight up. that would be interesting.

not sure what impact we are going to see from the other new additions but here is Giguere's stats for the last few seasons ....

2005-2006 DUCKS 60 30 15

2006-2007 DUCKS 56 36 10

2007-2008 DUCKS 58 35 17

2008-2009 DUCKS 46 19 18

2009-2010 DUCKS 20 4 8

the 3 columns are Games Played , Wins , Losses .... 06 and 07 looked pretty good but 08 and this year don't look that great ... and this year looks like Anaheim has given up on him ....is he supposed to be the Leafs new #1 or a backup to Gustavvson ? I don't get it ...

I grew up a leaf man but gave up on them years ago, basically they just took out the trash and its about time. There is still more to go... Burke and Wilson are the only ones that have enough balls to get anything done with the Leafs. And for eeryone moaning about losing White, its easy to look good when you are compared to everyone else on the leafs roster. Now if they could only get some fans who booed them when they sucked, they might some motivation.. So typical, every leaf fan defends them to the bitter end.... Ever been to a montreal or Pittsburg Game? The fans are Rithless and Its awesome. They get chewed out in public when they stink and then they smarten up.

Giguere has a Stanley cup ring and a con smyth trophy while playing for burke, he also is reaquainted with the best goalie coach he ever had so things may turn around for him big time. This will probably be the best opportunity he has to turn his game back on and reach the potential greatness he showed early in his career.As for Ian White his numbers are about the same as Phaneuf this year but phaneuf is having a bad season. I think White is at his full potential right now and I think Phaneuf is playing below his potential so straight up I think Phaneuf is by far a more effective player.

Why do leaf fans want to trade Kaberle so bad, he's by far the best defence men that team has seen in years, check out his numbers he's consistantly in the top 5 defencemen in the league, while playing on a dismal leaf team He stays out of the penalty box aswell, theres 25 other leafs I dump before Kaberle infact I'd be keeping that boy around for awhile.

Well, seems like the numbers that the Loafs are on the hook for now is pretty big; A 7 million dollar goaltender ???? he better put up some wins !!!

he's only got 4 this year ...

Excerpt taken from SLAM Sports

The moves also give Toronto a pair of big-salary players. Phaneuf earns $6.5 million this year - the second of a $39-million, six-year pact - while Giguere will make $6 million this season and $7 million in 2010-11.

Sjostrom is at $750,000.

Asked about the salary cap situation, Burke said it was manageable.

"At the end of the day, with this trade I think we end up pretty close to where we were," said Burke.

Hagman makes $3 million, Stajan $1.75 million, Mayers $1.4 million and White $950,000. Stajan and Mayers are unrestricted free agents on July 1, while White will be a restricted free agent.

Blake has two years left on a $20-million, five-year deal. He'll make $3 million next season.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toron...2685511-cp.html

Edited by jds63

Why do leaf fans want to trade Kaberle so bad, he's by far the best defence men that team has seen in years, check out his numbers he's consistantly in the top 5 defencemen in the league, while playing on a dismal leaf team He stays out of the penalty box aswell, theres 25 other leafs I dump before Kaberle infact I'd be keeping that boy around for awhile.

I think Steve Simmons (Sun Media sports troublemaker Uh I mean writer) is trying to run him out of town the same way he did to Mogilny, Sundin, McCabe, and others. If you read his chicken scratchings, anytime a player is slumping they're overpaid, and if they're doing well it's time to get rid of them and get what little value we can before the player is worthless again. (nice recurring theme in his columns)

jjcanoe