....Excited for TROUT OPENER?!

rbaquial

Hey OFC'ers,

So... with each day drawing closer & closer to TROUT OPENER (even though we're still quite a ways away)... I went to my local CT and was ABOUT to pickup a product called "Mike's GLO Mallow's".... but

decided to hold myself off... and see what information I could dig.

Just wanted to know some 1st hand inputs on people whom have tried it.

- What did you think of it?

- Did it perform to your expectations?

- Overall judgement on them?

I'm going to dig now... so see what I can find... 1st 15min is usually blank responses anyway.

I'd like to know what your inputs were on this product?

HERE is a picture of it.

you got to be joking ;) there marshmallows I eat them between gram crackers. stick to something you know works trust me marshmallows are no magic bait they wont catch u squat.

I have to disagree with you there. I have seen many times when using a marshmallow in a chartruesse sac with a worm will catch fish while everyone else is standing around with their "rod" in their hands. And for all the haters out there YES the fish were swallowing the baits as the hook ended up so far down their throats it was almost easier to pull it out from the butthole.

I will agree I have NEVER seen a marshmallow by itself catch a fish without lining it though and never a rainbow or steelhead.

Never could see why marshmallows wouldn’t work if you could get them to stay on the hook. They get a bad rap from all the shadier types of anglers who use them improperly - Truth be told, there are guys running high end float gear who pop or rip their float at the end of every drift, bottom bouncers and fly guys who run excessively long search leaders, and lure chuckers who target fish on redds in ankle deep water.

My only experience using them was when I was a kid. The ones my mom got from the grocery store usually didn’t last long on the hook – They usually just melted away after a couple drifts. Never tried the ones sold in tackle shops (I imagine, they'd melt off too). Diabetes runs in my family so, my mom doesn’t buy them anymore anyway.LOL

It doesn’t take a quantum leap to see that marshmallows don’t look all that different from: glo-bugs and other yarn eggs as well as flesh flies(especially in white and pink) that fly fishermen use; sponge eggs and roe bags that float fishermen use; lil corkies and spin-n-glows that bottom bouncers use. If you stuck a spinner blade in front, you’d have a totally new type of spinner.LOL I would imagine anything with a roe bag-like silhouette would work (especially in water with a bit of pace to it).

Steelhead will hit just about anything floating down river that looks or imitates anything remotely organic looking (plant material included ;) ). Experiment with different baits and you might find a bait hardly used (if at all) by other anglers that works insanely well. This fall I’ve been doing quite well trying new baits like: “creatures”, “plastic creatures”, “squirmers”, “explosion squirmers”, “plastic squirmers”, “wrigglers”, “dung cobras”, "purple gummies" (Thanks jim!), “cheese diddlers”, “chirpers” and chunks of “sea ‘pods” (of different types and flavours) B)…Only resorted to using roe a handful of times last fall and did better on average than most other anglers on the rivers. It really does pay to put in time trying a variety of different baits.

Edited by MJL