How About A 40 Brookie Day?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

My 3 comrades and I departed from Sault Ste. Marie at approximately 4:30 this morning. At 6:45 we left the car on snowshoe in hopes of doing most of the 1.5 hour hike in the dark. By 8:30 we we had our first lines set, waiting for a big brookie. Problem is, he never came!

This particular lake has a history of nice chunky fish and several tales of straightened hooks and snapped lines... unfortunately, today was not the day for this lake. At about 10:30 we packed up our gear and headed for a nearby lake we've done well on before...

and do well again we would!

Within minutes we had caught a fish, and by 1 we had caught approximately 25 specks. While we were enjoying the frantic pace, we weren't putting anything huge on the ice. A half day and all we had were some fish between .5-1.5lb

At 1:30 we arrived at our 3rd lake of the day. While I had never fished it, a family member had pulled several trophy specks out of it last winter! Apparently he must have kept them all because we couldn't buy a fish in this lake. So by 2:30 we were rushing to a lake on the route out.

In the hour and a half we fished this lake we caught another 10-15 specks in a flurry of excitement as the sun began to get low, inlcluding some nicer 2lb fish.

All in all, we caught somewhere between 35 and 40 fish, myself accounting for 11 of that tally. It was a fantastic day for the Doctor.

P1130457.jpg

P1130464-1.jpg

http://www.vimeo.com/8976104

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i require snelled bait hooks...

very small snelled bait hooks.

I required the same.. back when I was backward and ignorant!

...and targeting "baby fish"! :rolleyes:

If I could predict the future, I'd say your next step up is to target Wild Golden Shiners!!!... you can barely get them in on 1/2 lb. test yanno! :w00t:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
did you know that there's a lake in algonquin park called "Salvelinus lake"?

it's got your name on it.

totally brah! and they named a genus of fish after me!

I think 1's and 1-0...fairly large..I don't miss many fish.

You don't miss them because they don't bite!! Think of how many trout look at your 20lb mono, and 1/0 hook and just laugh :lol::lol: That set up must really "anchor" your bait down there!! I'm sure you get the odd stupid one once in a while though :P

i'm sure a tiny speck has no problem get a 1/0 hook in his yap... :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

S.

If those little specs are taking your small set ups so deep than bigger baits are in order. Target larger fish and give those dinks a chance. When you do locate feeding fish change to a jig so the small fish have a better chance of survival. Lindy guppies tipped with or without bait are deadly for large splake and brook trout. Light lines and small hooks are great fun but fish responsaby get rid of them if the mortality rate is high and sacrifice a few fish caught to ensure the survival of those little guys.