A warm day of brookie fishing.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Saturday morning we left Sault Ste. Marie at 4:30 am sharp. After a brief stop to pick up an old friend just outside of town, we made a few hour drive north. We left the car at 7:15 a.m. In previous years the trail and surrounding woods were quite walkable but due to there being less snow this year, walking conditions were terrible. Several hours later we arrived on the lake, put on dry clothing, and set our lines. Within 15 minutes my friend Evan's line went down as only a bruiser brook trout can do and he sprung out onto the lake to retrieve it. Unfortunately it was not to be. The fish made one last hard run right under the ice and broke his 8 lb mono.

That was to be all the sign of the big brook trout for the day. For the rest of the warm afternoon we caught 14 fish, most of which were between 3/4-lb to 1-1/4 lb with 2 that were about 1.5 lb. We got nothing huge, but it was an awesome day in the backcountry. Near the end of the day the southwest winds picks up and threw snow and frost into the hilltops. As the weather began to turn, we packed our gear and begun the warm hike out to the car. Here's a short video I made of the walk and the lake.

http://www.vimeo.com/8846447

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Cool video Luc....I guess you can take it for granted that it is rough terrain, the snow paves a nice hiway over obstructions in most years.

Seems like there is a nice fish or 2 in there after the events of the past couple years.

To bad about your buddy Mephitis mephitis and his lack of luck.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
To bad about your buddy Mephitis mephitis and his lack of luck.

He's gonna drink his sorrows away while I chase lakers this weekend.

Any lake with specs that straighten jigheads and snap 8 lb mono is worth a walk through hell.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

20lb test! for specks! get out of here ol' timer!

for the amount of fish that wouldn't even hit because of that diameter, i'll stick to my light line. besides, it wasn't ME who missed it. i don't miss fish! :P

definitely timusk!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
very nice

what lures do you use for winter speck fishing ?

i use a lot of small 1/4 ounce doctors and cleos with droppers...williams, toronto wablers, small jiggin presentations if they won't take the deadstick.

Great report and cool video Dr :thumbsup_anim:

I got to hand it to ya..... trekking thru bush like that must be tiring but what sweet reward in being able to land those beauty square tails, awesome jobs :clapping::thumbsup_anim:B)

You guys must be sleeping well at night after a trek like that :sleeping_02:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
What are you using for a layering system? Tell me the Sal man doesnt wear dead mans cloth in the bush?!?!

i wear an underarmour shirt, a long sleeve t, and a hoodie. when i get to the lake i put on a dry long sleeve t and my winter coat. i wear quick dry pants and long underwear with gators over my snowshoes.

20lb test! for specks! get out of here ol' timer!

for the amount of fish that wouldn't even hit because of that diameter, i'll stick to my light line. besides, it wasn't ME who missed it. i don't miss fish! :P

definitely timusk!

I use a snelled hook with about 10 lb at the flasher. the 20 is so I can kick a frozen hole open.

i wear an underarmour shirt, a long sleeve t, and a hoodie. when i get to the lake i put on a dry long sleeve t and my winter coat. i wear quick dry pants and long underwear with gators over my snowshoes.

If you changed your long sleeve t to a polyester heavy weight zip-t and your cotton sweater to a fleece one, you'd only have to wear those and never worry about changing into "dry" clothes...or carrying them for that matter. :)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

that underarmour stuff is golden for hiking, but the layer above it is soaked when you're done hiking. i don't like being wet. it leads to being cold.

that underarmour stuff is golden for hiking, but the layer above it is soaked when you're done hiking. i don't like being wet. it leads to being cold.

If you're running fleece it wont stay wet...it just keeps wicking the moisture to the outside were it evaporates in the air. Wearing polyester underarmour and a cotton layer over that is redundant. The underarmour is pulling the sweat off your body and pushing it out were the cotton is just trapping it and letting you get cold.

"You get wet, you get cold, you die." Hence cotton is referred to as "dead mans cloth".

EDIT- Also cotton clothes are MUCH heavier and bulkier than cotton stuff.

Edited by archie_james_c

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

different strokes i guess. when you arrive on a lake to a -30 wind in your face, you'll see why i bring a dry layer of clothes. also, my hikes are 3+ hours long. no "performance" clothing is going to shed 3 hours of sweat.

we're confusing two things here: layering and wicking.

the purpose of layering is to take clothes off as you warm up so you actually don't sweat, or at least reduce the risk as much as possible. the benefit of layering with wicking material is that the sweat (hopefully) won't stick around.

there will be no one set of layers that you can wear during the hike and after. you will ultimately have to de-layer or change clothes, as Dr. Sal indicated.