Made it out finally

DRIFTER_016

After a warm early winter followed by two months of liquid nitrogen like temps it finally warmed up and I made it out for the first time this winter. :)

I loaded up the sled to head to my favorite little laker lake but missed my turn off. :angry: I ended up riding for a while because the trail I found myself on was just too much fun plus I need to get myself into shape for the big trip in March. I ended up putting about 110 KMs on the sled today with a lot of the riding on tight and twisty trails like this.

Jan17_1.jpg

I eventually made my way back to the big lake and decided I would run out to some islands and see if I could find some whitefish. The wind had picked up so I took shelter behind one of the islands and checked depth through the ice with my trusty LX-5. First spot 20', nah lets look a little deeper :) second spot 30' and I'm marking fish through the ice. :blink:

I start up the auger (after changing the plug because I went and flooded it pinch.gif) and drill through 3 1/2 feet of clear black ice. Dropped the transducer in the hole and start marking fish, a good sign. thumbup_smilie.gifStart my jigging with a 3" hammered 1/2 & 1/2 williams, got a lot of looks but no takers. So I switched to a different rod with a Badd Boyz jig and crappie tube, as soon as I dropped it down the hole fish started swarming it but wouldn't commit. :huh:

I eventually tried thumping bottom with it and then slowly raised it about a foot off bottom had a follow and as I moved it up a little bit more the fish drilled it!!!! clapping-1.gifclapping-1.gifAfter 4 or 5 min I get the fish close. I had visions of a sweet 24" whitefish but it wasn't to be. Ended up being a pike about 24". Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. :lol:

Jan17_2.jpg

Jan17_3.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

did you say 3 and a 1/2 feet of ice!!! Holy Crap you in the arctic???

Uh, yes. :D

Look under my avitar at my location. B)

Great report Dave. What are your chances of meeting another sled on that particular trail? Is it one of the more traveled ones? Did you return after nightfall?

It's not one of the more travelled ones and over the course of the trip I saw no other people at all.

Just a few ptarmigan, shoulda brought the shotgun. :P

I guess it would be pretty interesting to run into another sled though. :unsure:

Great report and pics Dave :thumbsup_anim:B)

So I guess a manual auger is out of the question in your neck of the woods :whistling::lol:

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

I know guys that use manual augers but they're all Tundra Hugging Hippies that would rather snowshoe 20K into a lake than take a snowmobile. :lol:

Wouldnt you rather be a little south fishn steel with solo in open water, I sure enjoyed those pics

The South is a nice place to visit, but I sure don't want to live there ever again. :D

Especially in a province the inhabitants keep electing that putz McSquinty!!!!! nono.gif

I get to spend a whole month each fall chasing bows and dollies in Alaska and I like it. wink2.gif