ATV's vs Sled

mark_74

Mark, your question is somewhat vague.

Hitting trails for what?

Snowmobile trails do not allow ATV's to run on them.

ATV's are not much good in deep snow unless you run tracks and they are still not allowed on snowmobile trails.

If you don't have a need for an ATV other than ice fishing, get a snowmobile.

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about buying an ATV or sled. I was wondering if I could get some advice on the pros and cons of both? I'd be using either mainly for ice fishing but I would interested in the hitting the trails as well.

Thanks

Mark

The part about hitting the trails to me sound like you have your mind made up and you just want support of it. Let's say the price of both didn't matter, I would still go ATV as it has year round use. But that's just me...

I have both and the ATV would be more advantageous due to the fact that it can be used all year round.

If you want both, spend more money on the ATV because there are a lot of cheap old sleds that you can use for ice fishing . On the ice, any sled will go. There is never enough snow to stop any snowmobile and rarely too much snow to stop an ATV.

Mark, your question is somewhat vague.

Hitting trails for what?

Snowmobile trails do not allow ATV's to run on them.

ATV's are not much good in deep snow unless you run tracks and they are still not allowed on snowmobile trails.

If you don't have a need for an ATV other than ice fishing, get a snowmobile.

correct, the OFSC trails and im pretty sure other snowmobile trails dont allow ATV's on them during winter. A 4 wheeler is good when there isnt much snow, but when theres a decent amount of it on the ground your better off with a sled! tracks are a good thing for your 4 wheeler cause you can get year round use out of them too, but they also limit your speed. i love 4 wheeling and im gettin another one this spring along with a truck..... FINALLY, lol. sold my ATV before winter and was a huge mistake, im kinda missing the easy doughnuts right now haha.

either way, i would rather a snowmobile for ice fishing. they also disperse weight a little bit better on the ice too.

if you decide to grab a quad, make sure it isnt a variable speed transmission. i rather the shaft drive with either automatic or standard transmission cause to me their a little more reliable, specially through mud and what not.

so its up to you, keep what i said in mind.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

Just to clarify I'm not talking about hitting the groomed snowmobile trails, I realize that this not allowed. I just assumed that there was a dedicated trail system for ATV's.

dedicated trail system for quads...... i dont think there are any during winter. ya, if you got the cash go for a quad with tracks. tracks are pretty dang expensive for me. but one thing to consider is quads weigh more than snowmobiles and disperse weight completely different so theres certainly more of a risk taking an ATV out on the ice. in my opinion i think you would be happier with a quad because at least you can ride them year round without messin them up haha.

Thanks for the responses guys. If I got a quad I'd use it in the winter for ice fishing and then on the trails in the summer. I've just been looking around on the web, there are quite a few trail systems in ontario dedicated to ATV's. Any idea what a set of tracks are worth? Any recommendations on manufacturers?

Thanks

Mark

ya haha, a good manufacturer for the tracks is mattracks, if their still around i dont know. they got a nice dealership out in winnipeg i went to a couple years ago. they make the tracks for trucks hummers, you name it. im pretty sure they make em' for quads.

Another advantage to tracks on an ATV is you only have one machine to maintain.

They do slow you down but well made tracks can hit 70 mph on an 800cc. Be careful, there are a lot of crappy ones.

But tracks do work incredibly well in deep snow. The downside is some models were not designed with tracks in mind So snow can swirl around you and cover you in it in no time.

Have also seen a few different models plug the air filters with snow in powder conditions.

hey there i had a sled then bought atv then i put tracks on it it can be used all yr round now not like a sled only good for a couple of months insuranc eis higher you have to pay a trail permit , atv has much more uses than a sled , if you need any more info let me know i can help you with questions

When i think icefishing i think sled. But the conditions on simcoe are not the greatest for my rx-1 yamaha. Already need a new set of sliders and not enough snow to cool the heat exchangers. In a perfect world i would buy both...

I have a trick for you to try. Add a screw or two to the rear end of each ski. The screws must be long enough to scratch the ice and throw up ice particles to lubricate your slides and maybe the heat exchanger.

Edited by Dabluz

I have a trick for you to try. Add a screw or two to the rear end of each ski. The screws must be long enough to scratch the ice and throw up ice particles to lubricate your slides and maybe the heat exchanger.

or a pair of actual ice scratchers? lol

Edited by bigredneck

or a pair of actual ice scratchers? lol

I guess I should have known that they do exist. Like I said earlier, I'm an old guy and I know more about older snowmobiles. My snowmobile does not have a heat exchanger....whatever that does nor do I need things scratchers because there is always lots of snow here. The only machines that have studs are the ones that the tourists bring from the "states". My machine doesn't have fancy stuff like electric start or reverse. My machine hardly has any steering when I'm on icy trails nor does it have carbide thingys under the skis. Yet, a lot of guys on their fancy machines have trouble following me on small twisty trails. I rarely get to sit square on the seat for very long....lol.

i dont know what any of you are talking about ATV not being good in deep snow all last winter me and a few of my friends were out everyother day ripping around in 2 to 3 foot of snow never had a problem getting stuck or losing speed and this was with all the quads we were running 450 yamaha 700 suzi and 800 bombi (which did 119MPH in the snow)