New Evinrude 15 HP E-TEC

craigdritchie

Here's a little bit of news for E-TEC fans ..... BRP has unveiled a brand new 15 horsepower E-TEC. The text below is copied from a published report. No pictures, but apparently there is one on display at the Toronto Boat Show (which I missed seeing when I was there earlier).

Bombardier Recreation products (BRP) has introduced an all-new 15 horsepower engine in its popular Evinrude E-TEC line.

The E-TEC 15 HO is built on a 35.3 cubic inch, two-cylinder design that is CARB 3-Star, EPA and EU compliant. Both versions are available with an adjustable tiller handle or as a remote control model, each incorporating a high-speed tilt component supported by a heavy-duty bracket system that deploys at a speed said to be three times that of standard systems. The unit includes the company’s exclusive Touch-Troll feature that provides accurate electronic RPM speed control for improved fishability, while a 15-amp alternator delivers best-in-class charging power. The unit requires no scheduled dealer maintenance for three years or 300 hours.

“We’re delivering on our commitment to expand our Evinrude E-TEC line-up,” stated Yves Leduc, Vice President and General Manager for BRP’s North America division. “The new 15 horsepower HO model gives the consumer the best of both worlds – the largest displacement, which delivers the maximum get-home speed, and the direct-injection fuel system which offers the optimum ability for slow trolling.”

The Evinrude E-TEC 15 HO engine boasts many of the same features and benefits found on its bigger brothers in the Evinrude E-TEC line-up. Low maintenance, cleaner and quieter performance, durability and reliability through design and components including NASA-developed alloy pistons, a high-thrust reversing exhaust propeller, and fast rise inductive ignition (IDI) for sure starts and longer spark plug life.

BRP will highlight the Evinrude E-TEC 15 HO engine will be highlighted at select boat shows in key markets across Canada and the US, including the Toronto International Boat Show, the Houston International Boat Show, the Seattle Boat Show, the Minneapolis Boat Show and the Miami International Boat Show.

The new 15 HO model will be available as a limited release production to authorized Evinrude dealers beginning in May 2010. BRP's Evinrude E-TEC engine line-up now includes 98 engine models from 15 to 300 horsepower.

Do they show the ugly Chinese dirtball factory they build them in. Etec from china is scrap metal

Welcome to the new world etec fans or should I say use to be etec fans enjoy your chinese quality while putting North Americans on the unemployment line

Sorry for the rag out but when you quote the North American Division president on selling chinese crap it gets under my skin, I already lost my job twice to the chinese and now we get this crap, nice motor to bad you'll only get 40hrs out of it before it craps.

Edited by canadadude

I took the hood off of one at the boat show Craig.

It appears to be well made although too large for a 15.

They will get them smaller in the future.

Very good technology though. I bet they will be fuel misers.

I'm annoyed with myself for missing that one at the Boat Show, since I made a point of stopping by the BRP booth.

Interesting you should mention the size. It used to be that two-strokes were typically smaller than a comparable four-stroke. I guess when it comes to meeting low emission standards, that's no longer the case.

I'd like to know the weight of the engine, since it didn't say in the report I saw.

Craig there is more to the story.

This is essentially the same engine as the 25 ETEC.

The injectors are larger than they need to be for a 15 as well as the block and internal parts.

The size will come down in the future as the engineering and design is done.

This is incredibly expensive to do as you are probably aware.

So then the manufacturer needs to weigh in - is this economically feasible?

Supply and demand is dictated by sales. If this process is undertaken will they sell enough of them to make a profit?

Could be a gamble.

BRP has some very talented people throughout the world, some they had and some they acquired when they took over OMC.

Not many are going to buy a small engine made here if they can purchase one made over seas for half price.

I don't like it either but seems to be the way it is at this time.

This is just a brief glimpse Craig, still a lot more to it.

Maybe someday we can sit down and chat about it all.

Edited by Bernie

So if that's the weight, then why on earth would anyone want to buy a 15 Etec that weighs more than a Honda 25 electric start at 152 lbs?

thats the weight of a 25hp etec 146-183lbs, if its a de-tuned 25 then it should be similar in weight, besides honda doesn't have rpm controls...he he..

Economically, it makes sense to be a de-tuned 25, but wow, the size and weight issue sure is curious. A Merc 15hp four-stroke is 115 pounds, a Yamaha four-stroke 15 is 114 and a Suzuki 15 four weighs 97 to 105, depending on features (power trim, etc). Amazing to see three brands of four-stroke all weigh less than a two-stroke - who would have ever thought!

Bernie, Buster ... thanks for the info and pics. Will check it out more closely when I'm down again tomorrow.

Economically, it makes sense to be a de-tuned 25, but wow, the size and weight issue sure is curious. A Merc 15hp four-stroke is 115 pounds, a Yamaha four-stroke 15 is 114 and a Suzuki 15 four weighs 97 to 105, depending on features (power trim, etc). Amazing to see three brands of four-stroke all weigh less than a two-stroke - who would have ever thought!

Bernie, Buster ... thanks for the info and pics. Will check it out more closely when I'm down again tomorrow.

I think most of the brands' 20hp 4 strokes are around the same weight as above. 25 it goes up quiet a bit.

Do they show the ugly Chinese dirtball factory they build them in. Etec from china is scrap metal

Welcome to the new world etec fans or should I say use to be etec fans enjoy your chinese quality while putting North Americans on the unemployment line

Sorry for the rag out but when you quote the North American Division president on selling chinese crap it gets under my skin, I already lost my job twice to the chinese and now we get this crap, nice motor to bad you'll only get 40hrs out of it before it craps.

you going on steroids?