Line Twist

johnnyb

While hitting up the perch on Simcoe, I twisted the heck out of my line using the jig and minnow. To prevent it in the future, I'll tie in a swivel a foot or two above the jig. But, here's my problem: how to get the twist out?

In the summer, I just let all the line out with nothing tied on behind the boat and let it sort itself out. Can't really do that now. I suppose I could walk down to a local river and let the current do it for me...but there's gotta be a simpler solution.

I know running the spool under warm water for a minute or two takes out line memory...has anyone had success removing line twist this way?

Any thoughts and/or solutions are welcome :D

You should try out all of the line in your spool? You just have to make sure you don't strip everything out on the same spot on the floor.

My preference is to pull 3 arms length onto a spot, take a step to another spot in the room, continue until you have the whole spool out. After that, reel in all of your line again like you were spooling again.

Good luck!

Edited by EC1

can tell you one thing

after watching perch for hours on my camera, jigging without a swivel once you get twist your jig starts just spinning while you let it sit still and the fish will not touch it I had to get it to stop spinning to get the fish to hit

and if you let out a bunch of line then put the line between to erasers and reel it back in, it will remove the twist

Go outside and either have someone hold the end of the line or tie it off to something, the flip the bail and start walking backward until all the line is off the spoolthen have the person holding the end of the line let go, or go back and untie it. Then pinch the line between your thumb and forefinger and reel your line in (there should be nothing on the loose end). Make sure to pinch the line between your thumb and forefinger to properly load the spool under tension.

You want your line out in a straight line so it can spin and untwist itself as you load the spool (just like letting it out behind the boat).

Hope this helps!

Edited by GCD

yup...that's what I thought...at least it's on the small reel...hopefully I won't make TOO much of a mess! Thanks guys...and good insight with the spinning jig/cautious perch Terry...without a camera you'd never really clue into something like that.

If you live in an apartment or know someone who does, tie a 1/2oz weight on the end of line, go out on the balcony and open your bail. Let it stand for about 5 minutes and then slowly retrieve.

You figure the line twist will only be in the first 20 ft, 30 max as that is the depth you were fishing.

Cheers, Ron...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

those damn small spools always end up twisty, i guess mostly because of the memory coming off the spool of your favourite brand of line.

i do what you said with warm water. i take my spool off and put it in a coffee mug of warm water and leave it for 5 minutes.