Lets talk SNOW SHOES!!

archie_james_c

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

hills are definitely the reason i switched to aluminum shoes. skiing a pair of woods down 30 foot embankments wasn't fun. that said, it seems somebody breaks an aluminum snowshoe binding every few trips.

I love the bindings on my alum shoes...that being said...is it possible to incorporate the new style binding with the cleats and such to the wooden style?

The cleats are a huge advantage in my books for what i like to do

I like my wooden shoes. I just can't seem to find the right time to wear the aluminum ones..........unless its icy, but then I don't need shoes. I will sometimes wear a pair of those cheap, strap on cleats you get at CT, when I put on my wooden rackets. Its not the best rig, but it sure helps up and down the hills.

What kind of bindings are you guys using on your wooden shoes? I have a new set to put on mine......can't remember the name of them. I"ll post a pic once I"m home. The traditional leather ones are OK if your just going for a short hike, but if your going into speck country, I want something that's not going to break on me.

s.

Archie,

This reply might not be of much help to you in your quest for "high end" equipment, but this info might be valuable to anyone reading this post and thinking about giving this sport a try!

My wife and I bought each other a pair of snowshoes from Costco this year because this is something I have been wanting to try for a couple of years now.

they are "Snow Mountain" brand by Faber, which is a Canadian company from Quebec. They are made in Canada by a company with 135 years of experience!

The shoes seem to be decent enough quality for beginners and are warranted for 3 years.

They are aluminum frame with adjustable ratchet bindings. They have Crampons for traction and are rated for "On Trail" and also "Off Trail".

I had a chance to try mine out last week-end for a bit and it was a lot of fun. Although we have about a foot of snow on the ground, it is kind of crusty. We need some fresh powder to give them a true test.

Oh, and the best part..........they were $130.00 per pair. Not bad to try something out!

Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone interested. An interesting thread all the same!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

can't wait to read it. you earn your fish in the park, but fishing somewhere where there's no sleds in winter and no motorboats/jetskis in the summer is the best.

can't wait to read it. you earn your fish in the park, but fishing somewhere where there's no sleds in winter and no motorboats/jetskis in the summer is the best.

Damn straight, I never do too well in Gamit but it's always nice to be drinking cowboy coffee on the shore watching your lines. :)

I only got 2 fish today 1 15" Brook and a little Laker and missed a brookie...so not a bad day I guess :dunno:

I'm BEAT, FAT and OUT of shape...I'm going to bed, nite guys... :blush:

We use the Faber's at work for the kids to use. They don't get used on any hardcore trails or anything, but they hold up pretty well for what the kids put them thru. We haven't had any break yet, in 3 years, so we just ordered another 25 sets.

The bindings I put on my wooden shoes are also made by Faber. So far so good on them, but I've only used them a couple times so far.

S.

I sell snowshoes, as well as use them almost every day. We carry Atlas, Tubbs, GV.

Deciding between the different companies is really about deciding which bindings you like better. I prefer the high-end Atlas bindings (11 or 12 series): they have great foot hold, don't break, and are super-easy to use. Some folks prefer the ratchet-style bindings that GV is using. I don't much like the ratchets, but that is purely a personal preference. We have some guys that beat the heck out of shoes (hydro workers, tree markers, trappers) and they all seem to prefer the GVs

Durability: I haven't noticed, over the past 10 years or so, one company being more or less durable. There is always the occasional glitch (bad run of ratchets or pop-rivets), but no "trends" that say to me that one company makes a more durable shoe than the other.

Warranty is as much about the shop as it is about the company. If the shop is willing to go to bat for you, then they will get them warrantied most of the time.

Seriously, check them out HERE!

I did as soon as they showed me that video :thumbsup_anim:

Its very dependent on your preferences, Monique and Avery love the GVs,aluminums, but Jaden and I prefer the wooden ones. My main complaint with the aluminum ones is that snow builds up on them and increases the wieght, however bindings are much better. Also, personally I believe floatation is better with wodden ones. If I was walking a long way in unpacked snow, i would be wearing wooden ones. If I was gonna buy a pair of GVs aluminums, they would be the Wide Trails, a great pair of shoes with a lifetime warranty. Aluminun ones arre also noisy as far as im concerned.

I understand the debate of wooden/float vs. aluminums, but as Dr. Sal said, skiing down 30 foot hills on wooden rigs isn't fun :canadian: That price on your website for shoes, is that with taxes and shipped?

Archie,

This reply might not be of much help to you in your quest for "high end" equipment, but this info might be valuable to anyone reading this post and thinking about giving this sport a try!

My wife and I bought each other a pair of snowshoes from Costco this year because this is something I have been wanting to try for a couple of years now.

they are "Snow Mountain" brand by Faber, which is a Canadian company from Quebec. They are made in Canada by a company with 135 years of experience!

The shoes seem to be decent enough quality for beginners and are warranted for 3 years.

They are aluminum frame with adjustable ratchet bindings. They have Crampons for traction and are rated for "On Trail" and also "Off Trail".

I had a chance to try mine out last week-end for a bit and it was a lot of fun. Although we have about a foot of snow on the ground, it is kind of crusty. We need some fresh powder to give them a true test.

Oh, and the best part..........they were $130.00 per pair. Not bad to try something out!

Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone interested. An interesting thread all the same!

This is a very good idea RattleTrap, while I don't have a Costo near me there are lots of stores that sell beginner brands, I'll have to take a close look at them.

I sell snowshoes, as well as use them almost every day. We carry Atlas, Tubbs, GV.

Deciding between the different companies is really about deciding which bindings you like better. I prefer the high-end Atlas bindings (11 or 12 series): they have great foot hold, don't break, and are super-easy to use. Some folks prefer the ratchet-style bindings that GV is using. I don't much like the ratchets, but that is purely a personal preference. We have some guys that beat the heck out of shoes (hydro workers, tree markers, trappers) and they all seem to prefer the GVs

Durability: I haven't noticed, over the past 10 years or so, one company being more or less durable. There is always the occasional glitch (bad run of ratchets or pop-rivets), but no "trends" that say to me that one company makes a more durable shoe than the other.

Warranty is as much about the shop as it is about the company. If the shop is willing to go to bat for you, then they will get them warrantied most of the time.

This right here, is great. I love hearing from businesses that sell more than one brand...keeps the bias out of it :canadian:

What are the best snowshoes for really deep soft snow. I mean snow so soft that when you step off your snowmobile, you sink almost to your waist. We get quite a bit of snow where I live but less than the regions closer to the St-Lawrence. However, it never gets warm enough for the snow to get hard. Without snowshoes, it's trundging along in snow up to your crotch all winter. I've always liked my traditional snowshoes because the snow does not accumulate on them but the hole where the toe of the boot must pass through is too small. I have to wear huge snowmobile size 12 boots to stay warm.

What are the best snowshoes for really deep soft snow. I mean snow so soft that when you step off your snowmobile, you sink almost to your waist. We get quite a bit of snow where I live but less than the regions closer to the St-Lawrence. However, it never gets warm enough for the snow to get hard. Without snowshoes, it's trundging along in snow up to your crotch all winter. I've always liked my traditional snowshoes because the snow does not accumulate on them but the hole where the toe of the boot must pass through is too small. I have to wear huge snowmobile size 12 boots to stay warm.

Although I really like the modern shoes, it is tough to beat traditional wood/rawhide shoes for those conditions. You need a lot of float for deep, fluffy snow. An aluminum decked shoe that is going to be big enough is also going to hold a lot of snow, which can really wear on your knees if you are going any distance. The boot-size thing is just a matter of the lacing design. You may find a local repair/snowshoe maker that can alter the lacing on a pair for you.

I've got a really old pair of snowshoes....they look hand made. Very light and the webbing is close and fine....like the homemade ones that the natives make. But....they are quite old and probably fragile. They have a large hole for the toe of my huge snow boots.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

those new msr's are worth looking at because you can buy spare binding components for in the field repairs. given the amount of snowshoe binding failures i've seen in the past 4 or 5 years in the park, this is a really good concept.

I seem kind of partial to the the old beaver-tail style of snowshoe, some how I don't think I'd get the flotation with the newer style ones as I would with the old timers.....hard to come by nowadays, $138 for a pair at a local outfitter!

those new msr's are worth looking at because you can buy spare binding components for in the field repairs. given the amount of snowshoe binding failures i've seen in the past 4 or 5 years in the park, this is a really good concept.

That is a very good point dude...hate to be in the middle of no where and blow a binding...wait, I already did that :lol: .

I seem kind of partial to the the old beaver-tail style of snowshoe, some how I don't think I'd get the flotation with the newer style ones as I would with the old timers.....hard to come by nowadays, $138 for a pair at a local outfitter!

Take your old school ways and get the h-e-c-k outta here!!! Ya gotta look cool on the trails Glynn...it's all about lookin cool B) .