Haliburton Forest for New Years with Fish!

Jen

We do not often get away, but this year we both needed a break so Steve booked us a little cabin at Windemere Resort just outside of Haliburton Forest.

080.jpg

We went for two nights... Snowmobiling and fishing, a very relaxing way to unwind.

105.jpg

077.jpg

095.jpg

099.jpg

The trails were awesome with some of the most beautiful sceanery I have ever had a chance to enjoy...

There were many lakes to choose from, so we picked Black Lake... close to the tea stained open water ,yet still 6 -8 inches of good ice.

IMG00245.jpg

088.jpg

Steve managed to find a drop off from 3 feet of water to 32 feet of water, we dropped our lines in at 9".

IMG00230.jpg

IMG00244.jpg

It wasn't a long wait before we were catching fish...

IMG00236.jpg

IMG00233.jpg

IMG00234.jpg

IMG00235.jpg

Slippery fish to say the least!

IMG00239.jpg

Buckshots seem to work everywhere, however I caught first fish on just a minnow head and Steve caught his on a minnow... so we were never sure what the fish were preferring as we quit tied 2 to 2 , going 4 for 8.

We met some great people, Steve and Terry, and had some fun times...

Thanks so much to Steve for taking me away! Even when my sled broke down twice and he had to tow me 10 miles he managed to stay calm and patient! Not only was it the best way I have ever rung in a New Year it was a great way to let go of 2009!!

Cheers,

Jen ( bernadette )

I spent new year's weekend up there as well, I am fortunate to have a cottage that backs on to the Haliburton Forest. I caught one small laker Friday afternoon and got skunked on Saturday in the one hour at -30C windchill without a shelter. Wish I was up there now.

Nice report.

Something about a blonde women on a snowmobile that fishes gets me every time.

If things dont work out between you and this " Steve " guy............................................................ oh never mind !

Thanks for the report