I think my Jetta TDI is dead

Muskieman

About an hour ago I went outside to start the little 2001 Jetta TDI 1.9 Turbo Diesel.... started fine [as usual]

10 minutes later I went to leave with it... Lights are on but nobody home. :dunno:

The car had stalled... I could smell something had gotten hot... I tried to crank it over but there was nothing but a click at the starter solenoid.

I got a flashlight and some tools removed the cowling and the timing cover... the belt looks like hair but didn't fall off... tensionner is nice and tight.... that belt shouldn't have stripped like that I put in a new water pump and belt in June. :wallbash:

I wasn't around to hear the noise before it stalled ... but I sure hope that the pistons didn't kiss the valves.

:stretcher:

Looks like I'm getting my hands dirty before work tomorrow!!!

RFS

:angry:

DO NOT TURN OVER THE ENGINE!!!!

These are interference engines, you'll be extremely lucky not to have dropped a valve...

I also assume that the belt wasn't the culprit, it was most likely the WP or the tensioner or one of the rollers that seized up and stripped the belt...

Unfortunately the fact that the starter didn't turn over the engine and just clicks off means you definitely have some damage...

Time to pull the head off and see the damage.. I know a guy that can get you a rebuilt head (Hopefully that's all it needs) for a decent price. Or you can swap in a used longblock... Lot's of options, just don't buy anything at the dealer :)

PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by BillM

Hold onto that puppy for dear life. It is one of the best TDI's they ever made. I got 1000km city driving with the 2001 we had. I can also recall 1300km highway. The models that came out after that were not as fuel efficient I find, mind you they also had more power.

Hold onto that puppy for dear life. It is one of the best TDI's they ever made. I got 1000km city driving with the 2001 we had. I can also recall 1300km highway. The models that came out after that were not as fuel efficient I find, mind you they also had more power.

I have owned nothing put TDI's since 1986...a 1000KM city driving...I don't think so unless you had a bigger gas tank installed then the 55 liter one that I believe comes factory with that car.

However my 86 would get over 1100 on a tank if it was all highway and that was a 45 liter tank. Back then it was $15 -$20 to fill it too. I don't think I ever put more then $20 in it for a fill up...ever.

Loved that car. I creamed a deer with it one winter on the way to do some ice fishing and wrote it off, or I would still be happy to have it in the driveway.

Currently have a 2002 with a 55 liter tank. Gets the same mileage out of a tank as the 86...but thats a 55 liter tank opposed to the 86's 45 liter tank. The 2002 is a beauty car to drive...but it a lot thirstier then the 86.

I have owned nothing put TDI's since 1986...a 1000KM city driving...I don't think so unless you had a bigger gas tank installed then the 55 liter one that I believe comes factory with that car.

Thats what I got, mind you we got it when it was brand new. Was yours automatic by any chance? That could be the difference, mine was manual.

Nope... nothing but manual for me.

If you haven't already get rid of the guts within the tank vent so it's venting all the time.

I know guys that have squeezed in 63 litres.

My best tank to date was 1428km's before the low fuel light came on.

1000km's per tank city is doable, although most average 850-950kms.

Edited by BillM

1000km's per tank city is doable, although most average 850-950kms.

Since you know more about these Beasts then I, I'll take your word.

My apologies Fish4Eyes.

City I am anywhere from 750-850ish tops and I keep track religiously.

I won't even say what I get when I'm towing the tinny :rolleyes:

Since you know more about these Beasts then I, I'll take your word.

My apologies Fish4Eyes.

City I am anywhere from 750-850ish tops and I keep track religiously.

I won't even say what I get when I'm towing the tinny :rolleyes:

lol, I don't think there is any need to apologize to anyone.

I know guys that can't even break 1000km's on the highway :) But they aren't exactly stock!

I'm not either, currently making 151hp/251ftlbs...

If you guys that drive TDI's haven't done any upgrades, I definitely would suggest a nozzle upgrade. 15hp/40ftlbs and a 5% increase in mileage.

Really wakes up the car. Nozzles can be had for $150CAD..

My best tank was 1336Kms ..on a trip to Windsor & Southern Ontario..42.00$ of fuel. :thumbsup_anim:

Awesome little car I'm anxious to get her back on the road....

In the meantime I'm stuck using the friggin' 06 Saturn Ion.... I hate it ,I hate it, I hate it!!!!!! :devil:

My wife :angel: gets the Expedition during the winter months. @ 9.5MPG :wallbash:

RFS

:canadian:

Really wakes up the car. Nozzles can be had for $150CAD..

Hrmmm, I could use those extra ponies for when I carpool with 4 people in the car. Does it smoke more? And do you need to get a chip? Or do you just add nozzles, and away you go with more power?

Randy, how goes the battle? You get the head off yet?

I ended up working a double yesterday..... I have no time now until Saturday...kinda ruins my fishing weekend.

'Til then I'm stuck with the Saturn Ion.....

But I picked up a T/B for 45$ and a complete head & gasket kit for 200$...

so far so good.

RFS

:canadian:

Hrmmm, I could use those extra ponies for when I carpool with 4 people in the car. Does it smoke more? And do you need to get a chip? Or do you just add nozzles, and away you go with more power?

It might smoke more, really depends on the car. I know mine was just a haze at WOT after my install.. No need for a chip either (although a chip + nozzle combo makes the car completely different)..

if its anything like my old mitsu motor i'd recommend replacing the tensioner and water pump at the same time while you're in there. does it come with a balance belt too?

soooo.. slightly off topic.. what kinda performance improvements do these nozzles and chip make in real world terms ie. 1/4 mile. jettas are notorious 'slugs'.. are they just 'slow' after the work?

if its anything like my old mitsu motor i'd recommend replacing the tensioner and water pump at the same time while you're in there. does it come with a balance belt too?

soooo.. slightly off topic.. what kinda performance improvements do these nozzles and chip make in real world terms ie. 1/4 mile. jettas are notorious 'slugs'.. are they just 'slow' after the work?

Anytime you do a TB on a TDI, the tensioner needs to be replaced... Waterpump is also a good idea, along with all the rollers...

Raf, these cars aren't geared for the 1/4.. To give you an idea of before and after..

Before (stock) : 90hp/155ftlbs.

After (nozzle + chip) : 130hp/240ftlbs.

These cars will NEVER be fast, but it does wake them up quite a bit. I have a few other goodies that I need to install in my car, after it's all said and done, I should be in the neighbourhood of 180-190whp and 350ftlbs.. Enough for all the rice rockets out there :)