berkley vannish

basskicker09

A decent size pike can bite through that in it's sleep, but for smaller fish you may be okay. If you're targeting larger ones you'll probably want to go up to a higher pound test and get actual fluro leader material - it's a little tougher than vanish.

Edited by timmeh

is berkley vannish a true flourocarbon or not we have a reel spooled up with twenty pound and i want to know so i can use it as leader material for ice fishing for pike

i got one word to describe it.... CRAP!

other people may have different opinions. but with my use of it, i was very disapointed. broke even when tying knots, broke when i got a fish on, even the slightest abrations will kill the line and its certainly not very abrasion resistant. if i was you i would stick to the wire leaders, but to each their own. oh wait im talkin about soft water, lol. i still wouldnt use it for hard water either. go with real flouro that has proven good in the past. (i spooled my whole rod with vanish. i dont use flouro leaders just straight up wire, unless i got a flouro worm harness)

good luck,

JP

Edited by bigredneck

What I find funny about Berkley Vanish is the fact that it is expensive. Just about everybody knows that it's crap yet every year I keep seeing the stuff for sale.

The Vanish "leader material" is stiffer and harder (I cut my line with my teeth) and yet I will never use it again.

Maybe using some 20 lb Vanish on a baitcasting reel would be ok since baitcast reels do not twist the line. I suggest that anyone who does want to use 20 or 25 lb test Vanish on a baitcasting outfit to buy Dollarstore lures.

I've used the large banana style minnow baits for pike and they work great. However, I haven't caught any real big pike with them yet.

Edited by Dabluz

Yes, it's a real FC line, not a co-polymer. Try it for yourself, you might like it. Vanish was one of the early FC lines and it's still on the market so it must be selling. As for using it as leader material, it depends on the fish and conditions. The only line i wouldn't use as leader is Sufix elite mono, it's soft and one of the least abrasion resistant lines i've ever used.

heres a thought fer you guys. 10lb berkley trilene extra tough line is really abrasion resistant when i use it, i was trolling with my line (12lb vanish) and my father was trolling with his line (10lb trilene XT) and half way through a very productive day with walleye and pike my line was the most abraded while his line was almost perfect! trilene XT is good line IMO.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

is berkley vannish a true flourocarbon or not we have a reel spooled up with twenty pound and i want to know so i can use it as leader material for ice fishing for pike

I don't know why you'd want to spend that kind of cash just to be stealthy for Pike. I'm pretty sure that you could use 1/4" yellow nylon rope for a leader and be just as successful.

heres a thought fer you guys. 10lb berkley trilene extra tough line is really abrasion resistant when i use it, i was trolling with my line (12lb vanish) and my father was trolling with his line (10lb trilene XT) and half way through a very productive day with walleye and pike my line was the most abraded while his line was almost perfect! trilene XT is good line IMO.

JP

I often cut my line with my teeth and it's quite easy to feel the difference in the hardness of different lines. I can't cut braid or Fireline no matter how small it is and how hard and long I grind my teeth. Yes, XT is very hard and therefore very abrasion resistant....for a mono or a fluorocarbon line. I wouldn't use it on a spinning reel with a small spool or for a spinng combo for casting but for trolling, I haven't found any better for the same price. Yes, it's been around for about 40 years yet it's hard to improve on a good thing. I haven't used it with a baitcasting combo but I bet it works great. If you do a search on the internet using the words "fishing line abrasion test" you will find a lot of interesting info.

Edited by Dabluz

I don't know why you'd want to spend that kind of cash just to be stealthy for Pike. I'm pretty sure that you could use 1/4" yellow nylon rope for a leader and be just as successful.

the place i will be fishing for pike is on a small pond or lake in our area called martindale pond it receives a good amout of ice fishing pressure and have tried wire in the past with no luck then last year i used braid and did ok so i want to improve my odds even more due to i dont like perching so much when there are monster pike to be had LOL

thanks for all the info ill will give it a shot but not keep my hopes up lol and i wont rant about it if it keeps breaking but i will light it on fire if it does because it seems like a fun thing to do

crap forgot to sign myself in this post is by Rob D

Edited by bigugli