Latest on GPS?

JohnF

I know we've had lots of discussions but with the ever changing world of technology I wondered what the smart buy (for about $200) in portable gps was at the moment. I need to buy one for a gift, hence the $200 limit. I have a Lowrance ZOG that's been great but they don't seem to be available now. There's a Garmin 265? for just under $200. Any better ideas? I've gotta do a run into the Big Smoke before Christmas so I could pick one up there if I knew where to go.

Thanks

JF

JF

Is it for driving or for boating?

Driving I would suggest the Garmin, boating I have no idea.

Just for driving. I kinda figgered the Garmin was still the goto unit for most folks. I want one with voice insructions, colour, and a decent screen size.

JF

Appreciated--OFC helps again!

that's why i visit this wonderful place almost daily

you saved me a bunch of due dilligence here--GPS units.... what a crowded field to find a recommended unit-simple to navigate for a good price from cats you can trust

Have A Cool Yule All!

Hug a Mod

Play Safe on the Ice

Cheers

ID1

Thanks. I'll do that on my own as soon as I get it back. I figgered getting Matt one for Christmas was the only sure way of getting mine back. :P

JF

And thanks for the feedback and suggestions, y'all. I kinda knew this was the way to go from earlier threads but a last check never hurts.

JF

I've been using that 265W for a year now John and it's an excellent unit. The directions given are usually very accurate and the voice prompts are extremely clear.

It's great when hooked up in conjuction with your cell phone and receiving calls is as simple as touching the screen, and to make outgoing calls is also only a couple finger touches in the units phone book. Sound quality is very good for both listening to incoming calls and also for talking to someone else.

Amazing how the price comes down so dramatically on electronics as that same unit was $365 this time last year at Best Buy and Santa got it for me on sale for $300

BTW, The Source was selling it for $500 a year ago

I've been using that 265W for a year now John and it's an excellent unit. The directions given are usually very accurate and the voice prompts are extremely clear.

It's great when hooked up in conjuction with your cell phone and receiving calls is as simple as touching the screen, and to make outgoing calls is also only a couple finger touches in the units phone book. Sound quality is very good for both listening to incoming calls and also for talking to someone else.

Amazing how the price comes down so dramatically on electronics as that same unit was $365 this time last year at Best Buy and Santa got it for me on sale for $300

BTW, The Source was selling it for $500 a year ago

Thanks Lew. Now I wanna keep it for myself.

JF